Thursday, November 03, 2005

I'm back...

So, after a brief internet hiatus, I return. We FINALLY have a broadband connection in our flat. You wouldn't believe how hard it is to get stuff set up when you have no credit record in a country. Anyhoo, we're officially rolling now and tonight, we're ordering our satellite tv package. So after that, I'll officially have no reason whatsoever to leave the flat. Ever. Just kidding. Kind of.

So Jason and I came to a realization last night over dinner that what I really need is a gay sidekick. I mean, it makes perfect sense doesn't it?!? Carrie had Stanford, Charlotte had Anthony, Grace has Will, Karen has Jack, Becky Bloomwood had Danny, Catherine Warner had Si ... you get my point. This leads to the obvious question - how does one go about getting a gay sidekick? A personal ad? "Fun, fashion-conscious, designer jeans addict seeks young homosexual male companion for shoe shopping, watching Sex and the City reruns, makeovers at the Harrod's Stila counter, and general girly good times"? Hmmm... That doesn't sound half bad actually.

After my little wave of homesickness, I began thinking about the really cool things about living here. Here are a few that I've come up with so far:

1. I get to watch the original "What Not to Wear" on BBC starring Trinny and Susanna. Not that there's anything wrong with the American spin off with Clinton and Stacy (yet another chick with her gay sidekick - they're everywhere I tell you!) but there's something cool about getting back to its roots. I say this without a hint of irony.

2. Riding in the top of a double decker bus is way fun!

3. We have this awesome sushi place - Yo! Sushi - which Jason insists on calling "Yo Yo Sushi" like he's some gangsta rapper or something. Hilarious, I know. I'm blessed. Back to the point - you walk in, grab a seat around the bar that circles the whole of the restaurant and plates of sushi drift by on this little conveyor belt and you just grab what you want! How fun is that? No waiting for the chefs to prepare your order. You can literally walk in and start chowing immediately!

4. It's pretty fun walking around and running errands with your iPod. It puts that extra little spring in your step. I mean, how can you not prance just a tiny bit when you've got "Lose My Breath" by Destiny's Child blaring in your ears? The world is my catwalk.

5. I read the "Shopaholic" books a while back but brought them with me to read here because they're about a girl in London and I thought it would be kind of cool to experience it firsthand. (Kind of like watching Dawson's Creek and being like "Oh, I've been there!" "Ooh! I've seen that restaurant!!" etc...) Until I cracked the first one again, I had totally forgotten that the main character lived in Fulham - my real-life neighborhood!! And the book described it as the "trendiest neighborhood of London, full of it-girls" and so on... And it talked about her shopping on Kensington High Street, standing on the sidewalk with the shops to her left and the tube station to her right and I knew exactly where it was talking about. I was shopping exactly there just last Friday! Anyway, probably dull to anyone reading this but pretty flippin' cool to me.

Toodles for now!

1 comment:

cfk said...

I've been to Yo Sushi!! They have one in California and may I give you a word of warning...don't go late at night near closing time. Ewwww. I'm picturing you walking down the street like the iPod commercials. Your shadow is grooving and you are strolling. Except...do you groove? :)