Friday, November 25, 2005

The Workout Mistress is In

So, I've put together quite a workout mix for my iPod and it really keeps me motivated at the gym. I have to actually force myself to leave after an hour and a half. So I thought I'd share my knowledge for others who are searching for similar motivation.

I'll split the songs into three categories - The Kick It Up, The Break It Down, and The Transition Between The Two (I thought my fellow Better Than Ezra fans would appreciate that little reference). The Kick It Up means kick it into high gear and run your arse off on the treadmill or elliptical. The Break It Down songs are good for either weights, strength machines, or jacking up the incline on the treadmill and going at a slow pace to work your bum and thighs - I call it the "slow climb". That's a little tip I picked up from my friend Fergie of the Black Eyed Peas. Otherwise known as the best butt in the biz, so I figure if anybody's worth taking workout tips from, it's her. Word? Word. The Transition is basically songs that are good for your powerwalk pace - everything that happens in between running and slow climb. Samples of all these songs should be available on either iTunes or amazon.com. So without further delay.......

THE KICK IT UP
The Rockafeller Skank - Fatboy Slim
Song for the Dumped - Ben Folds Five
Toxic - Britney Spears
Switch - Will Smith
She Wants To Move - N.E.R.D.
Blitzkrieg Bop - The Ramones
Pump It - Black Eyed Peas
Ray of Light - Madonna
Bodyrock - Moby
Without Me - Eminem
Objection Tango - Shakira
Are You Gonna Be My Girl - Jet
Bubble Pop Electric - Gwen Stefani
Because We Can (from Moulin Rouge soundtrack) - Fatboy Slim
An American Girl - Tom Petty
I Wanna Be Sedated - The Ramones
La La La - Jay-Z
Mr. Brightside - The Killers
Just a Girl - No Doubt
End of the World - REM
Feel Good Inc. - Gorillaz
Do Somethin' - Britney Spears
Take It Off - The Donnas
One Angry Dwarf and 200 Solem Faces - Ben Folds Five
Beautiful Day - U2
Paint It Black - Rolling Stones
The Obvious Child - Paul Simon
Last Chance - Jet
Lose Control - Missy Elliott
Somebody Told Me - The Killers
Can't Get You Out of My Head - Kylie Minogue
Crazy In Love - Beyonce
Devil Inside - INXS
Hey Mama - Black Eyed Peas
Lose My Breath - Destiny's Child
Judy is a Punk - The Ramones
Pon De Replay - Rihanna
What You Waiting For - Gwen Stefani
Dammitt - Blink 182
Add It Up - Violent Femmes

THE BREAK IT DOWN
Soldier - Destiny's Child
Izzo - Jay-Z
Juicy - Better Than Ezra
Candy Shop - 50 Cent
Jesus Walks - Kanye West
Lose Yourself - Eminem
Lady - Lenny Kravitz
In Da Club - 50 Cent
Hollaback Girl - Gwen Stefani
Take Me Out - Franz Ferdinand
99 Problems - Jay-Z
P.I.M.P - 50 Cent
Magic Stick - 50 Cent
Gold Digger - Kanye West
All These Things That I've Done - The Killers
Naughty Girl - Beyonce
I'm Real (Murder Remix) - I'm Real
Disco Inferno - 50 Cent
Beverly Hills - Weezer

THE TRANSITION
Baby Boy - Beyonce
My Perogative - Britney Spears
The Boogie That Be - Black Eyed Peas
Change Clothes - Jay-Z
One, Two Step - Ciara
Work It - Missy Elliott
Outrageous - Britney Spears
Diamonds - Kanye West
Float On - Modest Mouse
Rich Girl - Gwen Stefani
Pop - Nsync
Rockin ' the Suburbs - Ben Folds
Don't Lie - Black Eyed Peas
Whenever, Wherever - Shakira
My Humps - Black Eyed Peas
Don't Phunk With My Heart - Black Eyed Peas
Dirt Off Your Shoulder - Jay-Z
Cold Hard Bitch - Jet
Hella Good - No Doubt
Seven Nation Army - The White Stripes
Right For Me - Justin Timberlake
Booylicious - Destiny's Child
Crash - Gwen Stefani
Goodies - Ciara
My Style - Black Eyed Peas
Rock Your Body - Justin Timberlake
Gossip Folks - Missy Elliott
Let's Get It Started - Black Eyed Peas
Superman - REM
Hott - Missy Elliott
Senorita - Justin Timberlake
Make Over - Christina Aguilera
I'm a Slave 4 U - Britney Spears
Rich Girl - Gwen Stefani
Like I Love You - Justin Timberlake
Dirrty - Christina Aguilera
Rollover DJ - Jet

So there you have it. If anyone else has any really good workout songs, lemme know. I'm always up for adding to my repertoire! You can all send me lovely bunches of tulips to thank me when you have Fergie's butt and abs...

7 comments:

cfk said...

Wonderful but you forgot one...The Humpty Dance by Digital Underground. An all important butt jiggler.

Heather said...

Ahhhh, takin' it old school. Nice!

for Joke! said...

I totally spent two hours putting together playlists for the gym. Mine are titled much more boring than yours: "Stretching" and "Running". I need to make a "Lifting" one... might have to high jack from you a little bit...

Heather said...

hijack away - that's what they're there for. to share my motivation with the world. or at least the few people who read this thing...

Erin said...

Hi Heather,
Thanks for the great list! Someone on the nest told me where to find this! I spent several hours downloading songs to my new IPOD.
Erin

Anonymous said...

Ok, I am crazy late but since I have still found this site that means others are probably as well... sooooo heres my lil input: for the Kick it up: B.O.B (BOMBS OVER BAGHDAD) by Outkast... it is insanely intense.

Heather said...

Oooh good one! How could I have left that out??