Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Am I nuts?


I remember when I was in college, hitting that middle-of-the-night breaking point the night before a big exam or before a paper was due, and throwing my head onto the library desk or Jake's Diner table in exhaustion, knowing full well that no matter how much I longed for the dark cave of my winnie-the-pooh comforter and pillow, I had to keep going till sunrise. I remember thinking to myself (or out loud, depending on my study partner), "I can't wait till I'm out of here, making lots of money and I can pay my bills and go to bed whenever I damn well please." On the other hand, I also recall that almost giddy excitement of going out to buy "supplies" for the all-nighter to come. Mtn. Dew, No-Doze, loads of chocolate, Doritos, etc. When everyone was fresh-faced and, in a weird sadistic way, almost excited about spening the whole night together, laughing, studying, eating, drinking. Then, almost worse than the aforementioned "middle-of-the-night breaking point" was the exact moment you would see the first tinges of sunlight. Oh god. I remember it all too well.

So, back to my original question. Recently, I've been watching DVD's of Felicity and finding myself almost wistful during the scenes of everyone cramming for finals. Maybe it's got something to do with the fact that it's all very romanticized on the show. I know this. I know that no one looks all cute and frisky and rosy-cheeked in the middle of an all-nighter. I know that it's impossible for one's fresh, crisp white shirt to still be crisp well into the next day. I won't even mention the lack of "freshness". Maybe it also has something to do with how cutesey Felicity and Ben were at the end of Season 2 when Ben finally got his head out of his nether-regions and realized they should be together. That always reminds me of when Jason and I met and how, every single night, we would sit on the couch in the hall outside my dormroom and talk about anything and everything until the wee hours when the pauses between topics would grow a little longer and we couldn't hold our eyes open any more.

I think I need to switch to Sex and the City episodes for a while.

No comments: