Sunday, March 05, 2006

I don't think you're ready for this jelly

'Cause my body's too Bodeanlicious for you babaaaay. (I officially apologize to Destiny's Child and specifically to one Miss Beyonce Knowles for that.) Last week Jason and I noticed that a Bodean's was opening in our 'hood. It's a small chain of BBQ joints that supposedly cater to expats living in London. We were super excited and went to try it out tonight. Ummm, holy pulled pork, Batman. Let me set the scene for you. We walk in and Dwight Yokam music is playing. They have a few plasma screen tv's on which they show all NASN, all the time. For those of you who don't live on my continent, that's the North American Sports Network. We sit down and order ourselves up some BBQ. A few minutes later, our waitress brings over sundry and assorted sauces. One of them was in a vinegar-shaker type bottle and had no label. "What's this one?" I ask. She replies, "It's our Carolina sau...", at which point I gasp, put my hand over my heart in reverence (which, in retrospect, was possibly a TAD dramatic, but, let's face it - I am a Southern Belle afterall) and ask breathlessly, "You mean it's vinegar based???". Now, anyone reading this who isn't from the great state of Nawth Carahlina may not quite understand the profundity of this discovery. In NC, BBQ sauce is a religion of sorts. Eastern NC sauce versus Western NC sauce is one of the great debates which can easily end in a fist fight. I can't go into specifics because that's a topic for another day entirely. The only thing the two sides seem to agree on is that what Texans call BBQ isn't worth the paper napkin you use to wipe your mouth. Let's just suffice it to say that I was made a very happy gal indeed.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

A woman after my own heart!! Floridians have no clue on how to make bbq either! I live for moments when I can go home and have some Lexington style bbq! There is a chain here called Sonny's that is just nasty! Not good bbq at all! They don't even serve hushpuppies with the bbq-they serve garlic bread!!! The shame!