Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Well, sod it!


This picture? That's me drinking away my dumbness.

Do you ever do something so totally dumb that you dont know whether to keep it to yourself or tell others so you can have a good laugh about it? Lucky you, I'm of the latter camp. I'm a big Jane Green fan. For those of you who don't know, she's a UK-based chick-lit author. I'd read most all of her books and then I saw on a list somewhere a book titled "Spellbound". I searched high and low and could not find this book anywhere in the US. Fast forward to a few months ago and I saw it in a used bookstore. So of course I snatched it up immediately! I began reading it today and immediately thought to myself, "Self, this story sounds awfully familiar..." But, I rationalized that I'd probably read an excerpt from it in one of her other books (as this is pretty common practice to put a chapter or so at the end to juice you up...). However, the more I read, the more I was convinced that I had actually read this book in it's entirety. Keep in mind that this was after I had read nearly 7 chapters and roughly 100 pages. I get home, go to Jane Green's US website and lo and behold, what do you think to my wondering eyes did appear? The book was under a different title in the US and yes, I had read it already. Sometimes, I'm amazed at my stupid-dom.

7 comments:

Beth said...

Try finding Vision Quest at your local DVD store, that one has a title change too! (Not that I wanted to rent Vision Quest, no, not me.) And as for re-reading, I have that problem with trashy romance novels all the time, but I have actually read those same books under the same titles and just forgot about them!

Melanie said...

Wow...three comments in one day from me...you are one lucky girl. Anyway, you look like an itty bitty long-haired brown eyed version of me in that picture...I have that same Old Navy tube top and I often chug wine straight from the bottle. No wonder we are friends...

Heather said...

Beth - I'm going to pretend you didn't post that comment ;-)

Smellanie - I am feeling the love fro you today! I think we also have another tube top from ON, the white and red one?

andrea said...

OMG, I did the same exact thing with Spellbound. And another Jane Green novel, although which one escapes me now. She is the worst at switching the names!

Next week we need to get together, after I am back from Spain!

Heather said...

Andrea - I'm so glad someone else has done the same thing! And let's def. get together when you're back... Have a GREAT trip!

A Novelist said...

I love good Chick-lit, especially the British authors! I usually have to go on e-Bay to find those obscure titles they don't sell in the U.S. Cute pic. I feel like doing that right about now. :)

Monique said...

oh gosh
I have SO done that
too funny!

I guess it's bound to happen once and awhile to those of us that read alot:)