Wednesday, August 23, 2006

I'm a farmer!

First things first though - I just want to clarify that I did not, in fact, yell Socks or Snacks on a Plane during my flight. Even I'm not that crazy. I would have said it for my companion's benefit had I been traveling with a friend.

Now, check me out! I grow vegetables! Just a little something I do... Check out this here 'mater (that's tomato for those of my readers located above the Mason-Dixon line or on other continents) I picked off the plant we've been growing on our patio. Doesn't it look ripe and delicious? I'm trying to decide what to make to eat it with. Maybe slice it up for some juicy burgers? Or perhaps a light and refreshing buffalo mozzarella and tomato salad? Or I could chop it up for taco toppings... The possibilities are truly endless. Maybe I could even set up a tomato stand at Borough Market! I could sell them and make jillions!



Or maybe I should just pop the whole thing on top of a chef's salad, add some ranch dressing and call it a day.


Oh boy, I really had you going there, didn't I? For those of you who aren't familiar with the currency in my country, the 50 pence coin is just slightly larger than a 25 cent one. Suckers.

5 comments:

A Novelist said...

Ha ha - no matter the size, those tomatoes look absolutely delish! Enjoy! :)

Beth said...

Great sizing to scale with the fifty pence coin. You could work for CSI!

Melanie said...

I don't really like tomatoes, but I am very proud of you for growing them.

Chuck said...

That was a nice little CSI / archeology scaling skill there with the 50 pence. I was figuring you and Jason had a ginormous tomato going there like what's his face, the venus fly trap in Little Shop of Horrors.

Janet said...

Heather, I tried the same thing this year...in a big pot in the corner of OUR patio. I bought two different kinds of plants.

From the plant which lived through this summer's heat wave, I got one ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS but singular mini-plum-tomato. I ate it slowly, to savor the experience.

When I got back from Cape Town, there were no signs of any additional flowers/tomatoes on that vine, but the plant itself lives.

The OTHER plant -- a more traditional cherry tomato plant -- is nothing but dry brown stick-like things. But hanging from what's left of the plant were about 8 little tomatoes, which I had on my salad last night. And they were VERY good.

So that's MY crop for the year, I guess. But it was fun trying!

Janet