Thursday, October 05, 2006

Happy Anniversary

Today is the one year anniversary of the day we moved here. Reflecting on this makes me both happy and sad. Because I'm so happy here now but I remember just how miserable I was when we first arrived a year ago. I mean like stay in my pajamas and cry all day sad. I'm talking like secretly planning a way for me to move back to Raleigh and just live apart from Jason for a year or two sad. I'm talking like sitting on the computer all day frantically searching for a cheap flight to Raleigh and crying myself to sleep on the couch when I couldn't find one. But here we are, one year later... And sure, there are days when I hate living in the city. Days when I think if I hear one more chav accent, I'll claw my ears off the side of my head. Days when I think the prices here are so outrageous, there will be a revolt on the High Street any minute. But the good days far outweigh the bad. The many benefits of living here are not lost on us. Theatre any night of the week. Spontaneous weekend trips around Europe. So much culture and history right in our back yard. Any cuisine we could possibly imagine, available to us via a short walk, bus, or tube ride. We don't have to worry about getting the oil in our car changed. We don't have to mow the lawn... Anyway, I think I've made my point. Happy Anniversary to us.

6 comments:

Monique said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!
Wow, I can't believe it's already been a year. We're sure glad you guys are still here though:)

The very nice man said...

Happy Anniversary, guys!
Your blog is definitely one of the best and now that you have survived the first (and most difficult) year things can only get better!
P.S.: If there should ever be a revolt on the High Street I will definitely be in the thick of it!!
Look forward to reading what Jason surprised you with for the anniversary (oops! Don't tell him I said this!)

Melanie said...

Awwww this makes me so sad...and happy, but I cannot believe that a year has already gone by...and I am selfish wishing you were back here to drink mimosas with me and that Jason was here to take Irish Car Bomb shots with me...and by taking those shots I mean spilling them all down the front of my shirt. But anyhow, I do miss you guys!!! Happy year anniversary!!!

andrea said...

I, for one, agree with Monique! Who else would I mock the fashion sense of the young Brits with? Drink champagne with? Now if I can just make it through a year :)

A Novelist said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! I can totally relate to moving to a new area and missing your home. But end the end, all change is positive. I'm glad you are embracing London and living a new chapter in your life. :)

Heather said...

Awww shucks... Thanks y'all :)