Thursday, October 12, 2006

My life is goooood. Really really goooooood.

As usual, anyone who can name the movie quote in the title can be my friend for life. (Yes that is too a prize. Is too. I'm an awesome friend. I give good gifts. And I'm loads of fun. Am too.)

This morning, the air was crisp, the sun was bright, and the Starbucks was tasty. And I was FINALLY having my meeting at the school where I'm volunteering. And it FINALLY actually happened. (Exactly a one year long process from initial enquiry to actual interaction with actual kids.) I met the teacher whose class I'll be working with and I met the kids who were really sweet. I think I might sort of take back my philosophy that "I don't like kids unless they are related to me or the direct offspring of people I like." One little girl took quite an immediate liking to me and as we were walking with the class through the school to the media center, she was telling everyone we passed by "I used to read with Gordon, but now I might read with Heathah!" (Gordon is another volunteer who works with a younger grade.) I just wanted to eat her up. Today I worked with one girl who needs more help than anyone in the class. She was really shy and didn't want to pick out books on her own but after the first book, which she wanted me to read, she started to open up and talk and get excited about choosing the next one and read it herself! It was so rewarding. She asked me if I was going to come back and read with her again.

Then, back to shallow-land. I got a manicure. That's all. It makes me happy. So sue me.


THEN, when I got back to the flat, the door buzzer rang and when I answered it, what I got in return were some of the sweetest words in the English language. "Aftahnoon Love, postman heah with a package foah you!" Wheeeeeee! It was my Amazon order earlier than expected - the brand new book "The Audrey Hepburn Treasures". But it's oh so much more than just a book my friends. It's set up kind of like a scrapbook with pockets holding reproductions of momentos like handwritten notes to and from her, family photos, movie premier tickets, pages of scripts with her handwritten notes on them, etc... I spent all afternoon sifting through it all.


It was a good day. Good night. Good everything.

6 comments:

The very nice man said...

Friend for life, huh??
Hmm . . sounds like the movie "I'm the One That I Want" by Margaret Cho.
Can that be right?? Surely not.

Mom said...

Congratulations on finally getting started with the volunteering at the school! I know that you will be great with the kids and enjoy it. Sounds like you had a very nice day yesterday. Love you and miss you bunches!!!!

A Novelist said...

The Audrey Hepburn book is tres interesting!!! I love Audrey! And another thing I love is your manicure! My nails are painted the same color. It's perfect for fall. Sounds like you had a fabulous day! Enjoy your weekend! :)

Beth said...

What a great day! What kind of nail polish is that, it looks nice. Totally unrelated, http://www.trashionista.com/ is now my favorite place for finding "light reading." I'm recommending it to anyone who is unafraid to say they read chick lit!

Heather said...

Hey Beth - it's "Wicked" by Essie. I'm usually an OPI girl but this was the best dark one the salon had. I like it!

I'm going to check out Trashionista!

Beth said...

Oh excellent. All of my OPI salons have become Essie salons so hopefully I'll be able to find it!