Sunday, October 15, 2006

When bad things happen to dumb people

Ok. At first I felt really really super bad for this girl. But after I gave it some thought, I decided she kind of asked for it. In the gym, there was a girl running pretty fast on the treadmill. Then I guess she got a little hot because she proceeded to try to take off her sweatshirt. An over-the-head crewneck style. Not a nice little zippered number that one can remove without much disruption to one's equilibrium. You see where this is headed don't you?

Next thing I know, there's a huge crashing noise. This girl went careening off the treadmill with such force that when she hit the machine behind her (not anything heavy as a treadmill, mind you... but still...), it jolted backwards a little. And of course, every single head in the gym whipped around to look. And there she sat. (Come to think of it, that's a rather liberal use of the word "sat" as she was not so much sitting as she was lying in a crumpled mess.) In the floor. Limbs splayed every which way. With her arms stuck up in sweatshirt which was stuck halfway over her head. Mortifying. After no less than five people ran over to see that she was ok, she got up and got back on the treadmill. For like 3 minutes. I figure that was the obligatory, "I'm totally fine. Not bothered at all. See how tough I am?" routine and she was now off to cry in the shower for a half hour.

And, ladies and gentlemen, through the magic of digital photography, I bring you this recreation of the incident:

6 comments:

Catherine said...

I am laughing so hard I am crying.

Monique said...

LOL! that is my worst nightmare come true!
ever since I've starting doing sprints on the treadmill I am SO worried about just flying off the back
to actually see it though - pricesless - LOL!

Beth said...

Oh man,I dropped my iPod once and it went shooting backwards, but since I never ended up looking like that picture I am now laughing so hard at that idiot that I'm crying!

muz said...

sooooooooo funny

A Novelist said...

OMG - how humiliating! If I were that girl, I would never show my face at that gym again!!! :O

Great reenactment with the photo! :)

Bil With One L said...

Sounds like a Bridget Jones moment.