Friday, November 10, 2006

The downside to trying to be a good person

First, let me apologize for the lack of posts this week. Je suis tres tres le busy. (Doesn't every blog have one of these obligatory "Sorry for the lack of updates recently blah blah dee blah bleh who cares." posts?) Regardless, I apologize to those of you who potentially rely on my escapades to keep you entertained at the office and have maybe had to do some actual work lately. I'm all "Diet Blog! Same great Nutshell, fewer posts!"

Anyhoo, back to my original thought... Many of you know I have been volunteering twice a week at a local school working with kids who need a bit of extra help with reading. Doing this is fantastic in many ways. It helps these preshus childrens (hopefully...), it makes me feel like a decent person and that maybe, just maybe, I do actually deserve all this awesome stuff I have/do, and it seems to make the teacher of the class I work with quite happy.

Unfortunately, there is also a downside to all this great-happy-feel-good-puppies-are-cute-ice-cream-is-yummy-rainbows-are-pretty stuff. And that is that kids are kind of gross and germ-ridden. No offense. To all the kids reading. All none of you. Hopefully anyway because my blog content isn't appropriate for adults, much less kids. They have snot coming out of their noses which they rid their faces of by way of their sleeves. They don't wash their hands. On and on.

As a result, I think I may have already contracted my first cold of the season. It's not bad yet but I can feel it coming so I'm going to Boots to load up on Vitamin C tablets and Kit Kats. Kit Kats are proven to fight colds. You didn't know?

8 comments:

Monique said...

Oh no!!! I think I may be coming down with something too - NOT GOOD! Stock up on Berocca - those fizzy drink tablets - gives you 800% of RDA of vitamin C. I hope you don't get sick!!!

Andrea said...

Ah, the joys of children in school. I am pretty sure everyone I know with kids in any form of schooling is perpetually sick, it is a vicious cycle!

Feel better, and I fully believe in the power of Kit Kats. For me it is the peanut butter ones, but to each his own :)

Rachel said...

I have kids & my 2.7 year old is in preschool. I am, as we speak, fighting my most recent case of ebola from him.

Kids are so germ infested it's not even funny & if I hear it's building their immune sytem one more time I will kill.

I haven't tried the Kit Kat method, thanks for the idea.

Rachel

Chuck said...

Kids really are quite the germ infested little things... bless their little hearts... yes I'm southern. Sorry to hear they got ya all sick. Vitamin C is definitely the way to go! Never heard of Kit Kats as the cure all, but now that its been put on the web it'll be instilled in people's souls as survival supplies. Oh MY GOSH it's (enter minor disaster such as rain or the idea of "weather"). I need milk, eggs, bread, and Kit Kats. You have started a monster that cannot killed!

Melanie said...

Why is Chuck so weird? Anyway, are you working at the Derek Zoolander Center For Children Who Can't Read Good And Wanna Learn To Do Other Stuff Good Too? Maybe they should teach them about germs instead of how to be really really good looking....

Beth said...

I worked in a school last year and got SIX colds. I quit in July and have been basically healthy since then. Children's snotty noses are so nasty.

Aisby said...

Do you have Airborne in Britain. It is a miracle cure for any kind of cold. I recommend it!

Both the kids have had bronchitis...I'm popping Airborne, like there's no tomorrow!!

Natalia said...

Ewww...and Airborne is what I was thinking about as well. My bf is from Ireland and when he was visiting he caught a cold and he was loving the stuff. If it is not available, have someone send it to you in a care package. Wait...is that illegal?

-N