Tuesday, November 28, 2006

It's the most wonderful tiiiiime of the year

This time of year was made for me. I love everything about it. Thanksgiving is my most favoritest holiday and, for me, it serves as the official kick-off for Christmas. Growing up, it was tradition for us to go to the Christmas tree farm on Thanksgiving afternoon and pick out our tree and decorate it that night. It was something I looked forward to all year long.

So, when Jason returned from Japan, we celebrated Thanksgiving by going to dinner at an American restaurant and hauling out the holly so to speak.


And the crowning glory - the tacky tinsel star.


And I must have been a very good girl because there was even an early present for me to go under the tree. (Lest anyone think husbands traveling on business is all bad, there is one very pointed advantage...the guilt of leaving you makes them want to buy you lovely little baubles to make up for it.)


Oh Santa! You shouldn't have!

However, despite using all the resouces at my disposal (baking cookies, games, hockey on tv) jetlag got the better of him and he was out like a light by 8:30. Asleep or awake, it was still nice to have him back home. Somehow, Laguna Beach re-runs are much better with a cute boy snoring gently with his head in your lap.

12 comments:

andrea said...

I am so jealous - I can't wait to get a tree! I may have to go out tonight in fact :)

It looks great! And yes, we should get together next week!

A Novelist said...

What a beautiful tree! I love all the white lights (better than multi-colors). We just put ours up too. I really do love this time of year. Glad your hubby is safely back home. :)

Janet said...

Oooooohhhhh...Heather...a bag from one of the world's coolest shops! DO tell us what's inside when the time comes, ok?

Janet

Heather said...

Oh, sorry Janet! This was actually a "travel gift" so it's mine already ;-)

It was a pair of pearl studs to go with the necklace he got me there when he was in Japan the first time! I'm a lucky girl indeed!

The very nice man said...

You guys are sooo cool! Your Christmas will truly be heavenly!!
Erik

Beth said...

Damn you! I wonder what the Caymen Islands are famous for...
Love the tree!! Now could you please get a blow-up nativity scene to really make things interesting?!

Heather said...

Beth - I think it's diamonds. Yeah, you know, whatever. Just go with that... Yes. Diamonds.

I'll work on the nativity scene for you. If I can't get a blow up one, would it do if Jason and I dress up as Mary and Joseph and get one of our cats to be the baby Jesus?

Aisby said...

How did you get the husband with good taste? My husband wouldn't know Mikimoto if a pearl flew out his nose. You're one lucky girl!!

Heather said...

Aisby - The same way I got the husband who knows what Chloe is, who knows the importance of owning a Diane von Furstenburg wrap dress, and knows how to pronounce Dolce & Gabbana. Years and years of training darling. And leaving issues of Vogue and In Style lying about, strategically opened to cdertain pages.

Side note - Nearly spit out my coffee at the visual of a pearl shooting out your husband's nose :)

Aisby said...

Apparently I need to start some serious training. I've been remiss in my duties.

Catherine said...

Ok seriously??? Last time Rob went away he brought me an extra-large lime green hoodie that says "Los Angeles" and clearly purchsed in the airport. Way to go Jason!

Heather said...

Ok, seriously? Now I know who to blame for your fashion meltdown.