Sunday, December 10, 2006

A weekend pictoral

Friday night was a real barn burner! I know, we really need to slow it down. All this partying is going to kill us. Couch + book + cozy sweater = ...


SLEEP! Sound asleep. Finger still on my place in the book. Jason said he had been talking to me from the other sofa for like 5 minutes. He thought I was reading. Which, to be fair, I was at one point.


Actually though, Friday night was quite nice because we got to go to dinner at our favorite Italian place with Monique and Murray and go see a movie.

Saturday we braved Selfridges on Oxford Street to meet Gordon Ramsay and get our book signed by him. I have sworn up and down that I would NEVER EVER go even remotely NEAR Oxford Street anytime after December 1st even if they were giving away free Manolos. Mmmm, words are tasty. Apparently, I'll go for considerably less than free Manolos. I'll go just to meet a celebrity chef.

Here's me waiting in the queue. We got there an hour before the signing and it was well worth it because the line eventually wrapped around the whole of the downstairs floor. We were like 4th in queue so he was also still "fresh" when we got to meet him and not sick of making small talk with everyone yet...


He arrives! I can't explain it, but he's strangely attractive in person. Maybe it's because you know he's a bad-ass with a heart of gold. Maybe it's because he can cook. Who knows?


And he was really nice! I mean really. The sales girl told us he was known to be "not the most pleasant person" so we were prepared for the worst but he made conversation and asked us about where we were from and told us that he loved North Carolina, especially the weather. And as he was signing our book, he asked which of us was the chef. We were really pleasantly surprised...



When we finally left Selfridges, it was of course already dark. You know, because it gets dark at like lunchtime in the winter here... But the whole of Oxford Street was lit up and it really does make you feel like a little kid again to look at all the lights.


And we all sing about "chestnuts roasting on an open fire" but who ever really DOES it during the holidays?? I had never in my life actually tasted a roasted chestnut until Saturday night. But, my are they festive.



Today we left our borough and upon our return to Fulham, we discovered our second home, The Farm, had been over-run by stupid Chelsea fans because of the match today. This might be the worst thing about living in Fulham. And one of the foremost reasons for our move to Richmond. Anyway, I couldn't hide my disappointment and pouted like a petulant child because I WANT MY TEA AND I HATE STUPID CHELSEA FANS AND HOW THEY TAKE OVER OUR NICE PUBS! And Jason, sweet, kind, patient, ever-tolerant Jason, took me to the grocery store to get some tea biscuits and provided me with this little set-up back at home.


Sigh. I'm calm now.

7 comments:

Beth said...

Awww! Gordon was signing in Dublin on Friday! I peeked in an hour before he was set to arrive and the line was already out of the shopping centre, so I knew I wasn't going to get to see him in the 2 hour window. I still think I might buy his book for my flight though. And he gave a great Richard and Judy interview last night. Yes, that is how exciting my Saturday night was! Larry dj-ed until 8 am though, if that makes at least one of us sound cool. ;)

Heather said...

Wow! 8 am?? He's a trooper!

And I've heard the book is great by the way. I wanted to start it next but I don't want to travel with my signed copy just in case something happened to it. So I'll read it when I get back to London I suppose....

Monique said...

Great pictures!!!

Yup we passed through Fulham on the bus yesterday as well - MADNESS! yuck to chelsea games!

A Novelist said...

That's great you got to meet him! I like Gordon Ramsay. :)

Aisby said...

Sounds like a wonderful weekend. I went to bed early and woke early all weekend (VERY rare for me) and ended up getting so much accomplished.

aunt sandy said...

The guy CAN'T be ALL bad. He's a lefty!!

Heather said...

Aunt Sandy - You crackme up! Only a fellow lefty would notice that ;-)