Saturday, February 24, 2007

When cultures collide

Last night, we went to the Royal Albert Hall to see Pucinni's tragic opera Madam Butterfly. Italian opera, set in Japan, performed in English. This is a much anticipated event at the Hall every year so I was pretty excited to see what the fuss-a-muss was all about.


And when we got to our box and saw the stage, I knew. It's so cool how they set it up. You can't really see in the picture but that's a Japanese water garden and they bring in real water. It just makes for such an interesting impact.


Jason's on champers duty.


And I'm on a different type of champers duty. This is one of the best things about the Hall. You can buy a bottle of champagne and take it to your box and sip on it all night!


We took this one at halftime (that's interval or intermission to you snobby types) when they had drained the water to make it a rock garden.


One of my other favorite things about shows at RAH is that many times, they have chorus characters come out and start milling about the set for a few minutes before it starts to sort of set the mood.


Props to Jason's mom and stepdad for my birthday gift - a freshwater pearls necklace and bracelet. It was the piece de resistance of my outfit.

3 comments:

Beth said...

Now that's a good way to celebrate half-time! Sadly I am STILL only supposed to have spicy soda, but with the vodka lemonade bonanza of last evening I guess that's gone now. ;)

Beth N said...

We were at the Coliseum last night for La Boheme. Also sung in English, which I was unaware of. It was fantastic though. But I'm totally jealous of you box at RAH!

Aisby said...

I still claim you have the ultimate life....Can I be you when I decide to grow up?