Monday, April 23, 2007

Oh deer!

Jason and I just happen to be so lucky as to live by one of the most beautiful parks in all of England. Furthermore, we also happen to have been blessed with an absolutely gorgeous weekend. Somehow, Jason talked me into renting bikes (or "hiring cycles" as they say in jolly old England) yesterday. Bear in mind please, that:

A) I haven't been on a bike since I was about 12
and
B) I had a rather traumatic spill once in which I was flying (metaphorically) down our very long, very DOWNHILL and very freshly gravelled driveway and hit a rock which sent me flying (literally) over the handlebars and resulted in some rather painful scrapes and cuts.
and
C) I'm not the world's most coordinated person. I'm not even our household's most coordinated resident (cats included).

But, once I got on and got the feel of it, I was totally fine. In fact, it was totally awesome and I loved it. As Jason said, "It's just like riding a bike." He's quite the philosopher, that one.

I love the look on my face here. I was talking out of the corner of my mouth "Just take the freaking picture already."


"You can't catch me, nah-nah-nah-nahnah."


"Look at me! I'm totally riding a bicycle for the first time since 5th grade and I'm totally not falling off or face-planting over the handle bars!"


Jason thinks it's a real hoot to sing the Wizard of Oz "Ms. Gulch" bicycle song while I'm riding.


Ice cream break!!


I needed to put any calories I may have biked off right back into my body.


And one of the coolest things about Richmond Park...all the deer!


They're not even remotely afraid of people. You can walk right by them and they just keep on eating. We were about 5 feet from them.


Certain areas of the park are just swarming with them.


Derek Zoolander's sporting-goods shoot.


And here are some other random and miscellaneous happenings...

I was eating my lunch by the river one day last week and I looked up and saw this crane sitting in one of the boats. I just thought it was kind of cool-looking. It doesn't come across in the photos really but they really are quite big! Especially when they spread their wings to take off.


And this is the riverside at high-tide. It literally comes up the stairs and covers the whole sidewalk! That tunnel is typically a walkway under the bridge. But not at high-tide!


Here we have a couple of idiots who kayaked up the river, got out at Richmond, walked over the bridge, crawled over the railing and dove into the river. So so so dumb. I hope they've got their jabs!


A beautiful sunset over the Thames. Jason and I have been going to the riverside every evening to watch the sunset lately.



Friday night was date night. Pre-movie vino at the Idle Hour in Putney. "Either this table is really high or this chair is really low or I have an incredibly short torso." (I wasn't even slouching, SWEAR!)


Saturday we hung out at Richmond Green and watched cricket.



And Saturday evening we walked up the street to enjoy the view over the park. Jason and I call this particular view "the magic spot". You're just walking along and there's a clearing and SHAZAM! One of the most beautiful views in England. Don't take my word for it. Travel guides say so too.


I love love love these violet tulips.



Ok, so that about catches us up I think. Now. I absolutely promise that I will get the Florence pics up this week. I know what you're thinking. "Liar, liar, pants on fire." And you have every reason not to trust me. But I won't fail you this time. Just give me one more chance, baby. I swear I'll be good this time...

4 comments:

Monique said...

Wow great pictures!!! Richmond really is SO beautiful!

muz said...

Great pics, but i LOVE the Zoolander one - hilarious!

Beth said...

That video just made me snort. In public.

Beth N said...

I must be the only person to go to Richmond Park and NOT see deer. Seriously, how does this happen?

Your pix are great, btw.