Friday, June 15, 2007

Goodbye Dolly

Hmmm... I'm torn between freeing my inner (and by "inner", I actually mean "outer") cynical bitchy theatre critic and being somewhat nice, trying to follow the golden rule about saying nothing if you don't have anything nice to say. When, in reality, the rule I actually live by is "If you don't have anything nice to say, then come sit next to me."

Lucky for you, the inner/outer bitch beat up the nice girl.

Hello Dolly is one of those old school Rogers & Hammerstein-style musicals that I had always wanted to see but never had. Just my luck, I saw that it was coming to the theatre here in Richmond so I got us two tickets and off we went. It waaaasssss..... how do you saaaay??.... crap. I'm sorry, but it was. I was in high school theatre productions that were more professional than this. It was like some kind of Founder's Day celebration in Mayberry where they asked all the locals to play a part, regardless of age, talent, or looks. And the props looked like they had been fished out of a yard sale. And not one in a nice subdivision either. A yard sale in Podunk, USA. On the side of a highway.

Maybe I'm being harsh. And I feel bad. I do. But the fact of the matter is, we've never left a show at intermission until last night. At least we were incognito about it. We sort of walked out during the interval for some "fresh air" and slowly started making our way towards the street, acting like we were engrossed by the "Coming Soon!" board. When everybody started going back in, we bolted around the corner and marched straight into our Italian place for coffee and a piece of tiramisu.


Sorry Dolly. Thumbs down.

3 comments:

andrea said...

Oh no! Come to the Wimbledon theatre sometime and you may find Richmond more appealing :)

Beth said...

But thumbs up for the dress!

Anonymous said...

that's a shame! I am wanting to go see swan lake :) Hopefully will be better! :)
Hope you are having a nice weekend!

London Southern Belle