Monday, June 18, 2007

I've got a fever. And the only cure... is more swans.

Swan Lake has come and gone but the blisters rubbed by my stupid shoes live on, I'm afraid. More on that later...

The ballet was beautiful and seeing it at Royal Albert Hall "in the round" made it even better. We were in one of the boxes so it was absolutely stunning to look down on the stage from above and see the whole company moving in unison. My favorite scenes were, of course, the ones on the lake with all the swans together. I simply could not get enough of the swans. Every time more of them would come running/gliding/floating out, I'd get all twitchy with excitement and hope for even more. "More swans!! I want the whole stage full of swans! I don't want to see one square inch of stage! I want it totally covered in white tutus!"

This is one of the things that makes the Royal Albert Hall the Royal Albert Hall. They're for the accoustics and they cover the ceiling. This looks like one of those photos from Highlights magazine that's a serious close-up of some everyday object and you're supposed to guess what it is. "I know that one! It's mold growing on a zucchini!" Then Highlights is all "Wrong. It's a bunch of pencil erasers, you moron."

P.S. They're actually white, not blue.

Like the posh lass that I am, I watched the entirety of Swan Lake with my shoes decidedly OFF. I even took to prancing around our box during the intervals barefoot. I vowed that if I made it home without my feet becoming bloody stumps, I'd throw these things in the bin and never look back.

Practice makes perfect. My ambition (borne out of Billy Elliot) to become a ballet dancer when I grow up is still in tact. Although at this point I may be better suited for a production of "Duck Pond" rather than "Swan Lake".


You thought I was kidding, didn't you?


As usual, props to anyone who can identify the source of the quote in today's post title...

7 comments:

Beth said...

Wait a minute, hold up - what is that bag I see next to the rubbish shoes?!

Heather said...

Don't worry - it's not what you think it is ;-)

Chanel, Coco will probably come to me sometime in the next twenty years or so... but in the meantime, Jacobs, Marc is filling in just fine!

Anonymous said...

The only cure is more cow bell!

Aisby said...

it is such a shame when cute shoes hurt your feet...it's just not right.

Beth said...

Jacobs, Marc is such a nice man.

Susan said...

The only cure is more cowbell!

Monique said...

Ahhh I used to LOVE highlights magazine - too funny! I agree - swan lake at the Royal Albert Hall is like nothing else - amazing! Glad you enjoyed it:) Shame about the shoes - they are SO pretty!