Monday, September 10, 2007

Comings and goings

Jason and I have just returned from Norway which was amazing and I think possibly the most beautiful place I've ever been in my life. (P.S. I'm moving to Oslo.) Pictures to follow...

In positive news, my cousin has returned home safe and sound (apart from a wrecked knee that was the result of playing basketball) from Iraq.

In less-than-positive news, my Grandpa has finally lost the battle with cancer. Although I'm of course sad, I'm glad he went peacefully at home in his bed and with my Dad and Grandma by his side. I'm also so thankful that I got to spend some quality time with him last month before he really started to deteriorate.

When Jason and I were on our honeymoon in Italy, it had rained for a few days straight and one evening, we got the news that his Nana has passed away. The next day was sunny and beautiful without a cloud in the sky. On this trip, when we arrived in Bergen it was raining and when we awoke the next morning, it was still pouring. As we set out for our fjord cruise on the train, we could hardly see across the water but by the time we boarded the boat in Flam, the sun had come out and the fog had lifted and we had the most beautiful view I could imagine. Unbeknownst to us at the time, this was around the time my Grandpa passed away. I guess grandparents never really stop looking out for you, huh?

7 comments:

Steph said...

Heather- I'm so sorry to hear that your Grandpa passed away. I'm glad that you were able to enjoy Norway and find some peace while you were there. Hang in there!

I can't wait to see all your pictures!

Murray said...

I'm really sorry to hear that about your Grandpa. Your post was touching. xx

kristina said...

I was so sorry to hear about your grandfather, but I am so glad you were able to spend some really good time with him in August. Thinking of you.

Monique said...

I'm so sorry Heather - sending you big hugs. I definitely believe our Grandparents look down us and keep a loving eye on us. I'm so happy for you that you had quality time with him recently too.

Beth said...

I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather, but I have no doubt he sent you that beautiful view! Glad you enjoyed your trip.

A Novelist said...

I'm really sorry to hear about the passing of your Grandfather. You are in my thoughts and prayers. xoxo

geo said...

Do you think your grandfather and mine are friends by now? That would be nice...

I'm sending you hugs.