Wednesday, September 19, 2007

A Sartorial Smorgasbord


It was, in six words, everything I dreamed it would be. The clothes were gorgeous and well made and (best of all) at American prices.

Just in case it isn't yet clear what I'm talking about, here's a clue:


They even had them on real Target hangers! Joy of joys!!


And to top it all off, I got to chatting with one of the reps from Target about how I loved the line and how excited I was to have a little piece of Target over here. Then later, when I was waiting to pay, she came over and said "Can I borrow you for a sec?" and she took me over and introduced me to Alice Temperley herself! Alice asked what my favorite pieces were and wanted to see which ones I was buying. I was so proud of myself because I actually said something that made me sound like I really knew what I was talking about. "I love all the different inspirations that went into the collection, especially the military and formal wear touches. I think it's just brilliant!"

And here's what I got. Two coats (one black dressy and one navy-ish/royal-ish blue funky), a sweater, a dressy victorian-style top, and a quasi-tuxedo inspired layering tank. All for about 100.00 GBP.


After I left Selfridges, the sun was out and I was feeling very inspired so I decided to stop off at the V&A...


...to check out the New York Fashion Now exhibit one last time before it closes.


And although I knew it was going on, in my shopping-induced euphoria, I had totally forgotten. Ladies and gentlemen, it is London Fashion Week. Next door to my beloved V&A. I was truly tempted to just hang out outside the entrance all afternoon. I mean, Marc Jacobs has to come out of there sometime, right?


But as Tim Gunn would say, "Carry on." And so I did. Because I worship at the altar of Tim Gunn.


Zac Posen is one of my favorites from this exhibition.


All in all, it was a glorious but exhausting day. And now, I have two days to prepare for houseguests so I'm out like Carson Kressley.

2 comments:

Beth said...

I'm not even going to bother to say it this time.

geo said...

loving the Victorian top. Nice job!