Friday, December 14, 2007

Fröhliche Weihnachten!

What's this?!? Photos from the Berlin Christmas Markets?? (Otherwise known simply as "Fried Food Fest 2007" or "How to Eat Your Way Through Berlin" or "Achieving Highest Levels of Christmas Cheer Using Only Tasty Bavarian Treats".) I bet most of you were starting to think we didn't even go. Well here's proof:

First market - Gendarmenmarkt. Though skies were gray, we were still full of Christmas cheer. Well, full of Christmas cheer and Starbucks Peppermint Mochas.

Market number two at Potsdamer Platz.

And the third and final market of the day somewhere on Friedrichstrasse I think. Jason had mulled wine running through his veins by the end of this trip.


Nothing like a fresh salted pretzel to warm up your hands.


We had a most excellent welcome back treat from the Ritz - a Berliner. I fell in love with these babies last time we were here and was oh so pleased to sink my teeth into another one. Nothing like mealing out on sweeet treats in your jammies.

Day two begins at the market by Kaiser Wilhelm Church - and with a very messy stick of candied fruit.

And continued with yet more food in the form of delicious potato pancakes. Heaven.


And continues that evening with another Berliner, this time from a market stall.


We don't know what these are called but what better way to follow a Berliner than with sugary little balls of dough?

And back to Gendarmenmarkt to appreciate its beauty under starry skies. And to possibly eat more stuff.

Day three meant a trip outside the city to Potsdam. And also sauerkraut with mustard. YUM.


Aside from all the eating, we did quite a lot of shopping as well. And my favorite market by far was the one in Potsdam called Romantikmarkt. We were a little concerned that people kept saying "Oooh and it's called Romantic Market... wink, wink" because well, what exactly makes it so romantic? And do we, as Americans, have a very different definition of the word "romantic" than Germans do? Like, is this some kind of weird fetish market where people are going to be leading each other around on leashes and using whips?? Turns out, no.

It was really lovely and I bought my favourite souvenir here. It was a culmination of my favorite things: vintage and Christmas decorations. We got a set of handpainted glass ornaments and matching treetopper from the 60's for 20.00 euros. I was so excited, I could barely breathe. Mind you, if one of them ever gets broken, I'll die a little on the inside. And god help my kids if they ever break one. I'll totally be that mother that screams "These ornaments managed to make it thorough more than half a century unscathed...!!! Now get out of here. Mommy needs a martini."

A cute medieval style market in Babelsberg, on the way back into Berlin.


These contraptions were all over the place...


You'll be shocked to know that we consumed more mulled wine...


...and a salzgherkin. Basically, a totally awesome pickle.


The last day - we started by checking out the insane Lego display in the Sony Center. Every single bit of these displays is made of Legos. Imagine it was your job to build the huge Lego contraptions? Hello? Best. Job. Ever.




Ok. The following material may not be suitable for impressionable youngsters. We had a very serious discussion about this and made a decision which we definitely do not regret. We decided that we simply could not live with ourselves if for the rest of our lives, we knew we had been to Germany twice in the space of half a year and never ate a bratwurst. It's just not right. So we each had one. And holy crap it was good. Judge not! Lest ye be judged!



Post-wurst regroup at Starbucks.


Clearly, this has absolutely nothing to do with the markets. I just like to think I'm funny. But seriously? This little mini-mobile-cash mashine was just asking for it with those huge bags with euro signs on them.

And for our last trick: afternoon tea at the Ritz!


Jason is a very, very good sport, no?


And did I mention that we did a little shopping? Thank the lord for the Louis Vuitton Neverfull GM. Although, I must say, it looks pretty freaking full to me.

4 comments:

andrea said...

We ate our way through the Vienna Christmas markets last year, and it was the best trip ever. I love your pictures, I am glad you guys had a good time!

Suze - Manchester UK said...

donuts, sweets, saurkraut and bratwurst? I'm NOT using the bathroom after you! ;)
Great post - love Jason's glazed-gluhwein eye look!!
Suze x

Beth said...

Louis never lets you down!

Tara said...

Hi, I somehow found your blog a while back and have been reading it. I love your Berlin pictures! I'm leaving for Berlin soon and your pictures make me really excited to go!
-Tara