Friday, January 11, 2008

Is it wrong?

Is it wrong that I've watched a few episodes of Newlyweds: Nick and Jessica over my Rice Krispies this week and have found myself, on several occassions, shaking my head, feeling a little sad and thinking "I still can't believe those two crazy kids didn't make it. That Nick was such a good guy..."?

Or that I've been watching The Hills with more interest than any 30 year old should ever admit to and thinking things like "Poor LC... Her girlfriends are forever stabbing her in the back and she always picks the worst guys. Well, except Stephen back in the Laguna days - but then he got caught in that bitch Kristen's evil web of cattiness and hate." and "Oh, Whitney. How do you manage to stay out of the drama and always look like an angel?" or "Spencer and Heidi are the perfect couple. They're both stupid, self-involved, narcissistic drama-whores who wouldn't know what an honest day's work was if it arrived on their doorstep wearing a tutu."?

You know what? Don't answer that. Now that I've written that out, I know very well that yes, indeed, it is very wrong. But if lovin' MTV reality shows about people a decade or so younger than me is wrong? Well, then I don't want to be right. (I know you feel me, Andrea.)  Preach it.

8 comments:

andrea said...

Oh how I have your back :) And is it wrong that I can't wait for February when MTV UK starts running Kerry Katona's trainwreck of a reality show, and I feel a little sad that everyone in the US won't get to partake in the disaster that she is? Because she really, really is. I love MTV!

A Novelist said...

LOL! Great post.....Is it wrong that I watch the new hit show, "Gossip Girl," which is aimed towards high school students....? ;) Keep lovin your reality shows...I know I do! :)

beth said...

Oh man, you missed The Hills marathon on MTV over Christmas. It was awesome. Maybe a little too awesome.

Dawn said...

Is it wrong that I OWN The Newlyweds on DVD and still watch it thinking, "why, why, Jessica, Nick is so nice?" I don't think it's wrong so therefore you must be right too :)

Tara said...

i have been on of those feeble lurkers for a while now but just must come out of my shell to say that it totally freaks me out how often you EXACTLY echo my own thoughts in your blog. I am so lame that i actually watched the new episodes of The Hills online because they hadn't yet screened in Australia. It has been my dirty little secret but now i'm starting to think that maybe i AM ok despite my pathetic addiction to MTV reality!

Aisby said...

I miss Newlyweds. They should have done a fourth season about their divorce. I would have loved to see Jess try to type out that e-mail that said it was over. She probably got Kaycee to do it.

Muz & Mo said...

OMG Andrea - Kerry Katona is doing a show? Now THAT is a disaster waiting to end up in rehab!!
Too funny Heather - I do love trashy reality shows - I find it hard to tear myself away when those marathons are on!!

Rosie said...

Yeaaahhh...I'm coming out of hiding too on this one. Total reality addict - I have watched every Real World Marathon since the first season, at least once. I still kind of get this pang of regret that I was never picked for a RW season (yes, I actually applied more than once)
I'm kind of a Made junkie too, which is really sad cause those kids are in high school.

But my biggest "reality" addiction shame is Bad Girls Club and Real Housewives of Orange County.

The secret is out.