Saturday, February 23, 2008

Miscellaneous

Too. Many. Thoughts.... Must. Blog. This post is why the word "miscellaneous" exists.

On matters musical
Is there anyone else out there who is largely disappointed with the final 24 on American Idol this year? Sure, there are a couple of standouts. (Namely, the Aussie guy and the really young kid who smiles all the time - I can't remember names at the moment and I'm not going to the AI website because we haven't had the results here yet, or the girls performance night yet for that matter, and I don't want to spoil it...) But I think the judges really got it wrong this year. I would go as far as to say it's collectively the LEAST inspiring final 24 ever! I'm still reeling over Josiah being cut. Shameful.

On matters aesthetical
I have no idea why but whenever I'm going on a long-ish trip, I always feel the need to go on a grooming rampage before I go. Apparently, I'm all "I could care less if the people I deal with on a daily basis see me with overgrown eyebrows and raggedy cuticles but god forbid my flight-mates and the people of Japan, all of whom I'll never ever see again, think I'm unkempt! Gasp! The horror!" so I spent the week getting my brows waxed, my nails did, my toeses did, and I'm getting my hair cut today. Which leads me to my thoughts...

On matters hairological
I have yet to have my hair cut in London because I am positively terrified of going to someone new. I love my guy Tommy in NC and I used to be able to get by with getting a cut only every 4 to 6 months or so because he taught me how to trim my own bangs. But last time I was there, I got some layers which require a bit more maintenance. And which I love, but are the catalyst for the fear that is currently coursing through my veins over my appointment.

On matters expatical
I apologize in advance if any Brits read this and find it offensive but I must vent about something. I think I have mentioned before how difficult it can be to accomplish the most mundane of tasks in this country. This morning shortly after 7:00 am, I pick up the phone and dial up my mobile service provider - O2 - in order to pay both our bills using their AUTOMATED service. You know? This kind where you repeatedly mash a bunch of buttons followed by the number sign and you don't need to speak to a representative or anything? Because the whole process is AUTOMATED?? Guess what. Their AUTOMATED service doesn't function until the human-powered customer service center opens. Isn't that convenient?? Answer: HELL TO THE NO. And while I'm at it, can I just say that I can't even count the number of times I've called up one of our many utility providers and spent 10 minutes shouting account numbers into the phone in a British accent, in a futile effort to get the automated system to recognize what I'm saying? Fun times.

All that said, I must now put the coffee down and the computer away and get to work on my "to do" list for the day - which coincidentally, is pretty extensive. Since, you know, I'm LEAVING FOR JAPAN TOMORROW MORNING.

P.S. Yes, I know that the words "hairological" and "expatical" don't exist. I made 'em up.

3 comments:

andrea said...

I am so excited to hear about you trip to Japan, you will love it!

And I totally agree about AI, Josiah should have stayed in, at least he was his own person and not the cookie cutters they have now!

Beth N said...

I'm with you as well. Some real duds. What's with the kid with the long curly hair that looks like a chick? I'm bummed about Josiah, and even the crazy politician guy. Must see how this plays out, but i"m quickly losing interest.

Dawn said...

Hmmmm, I never thought of what a computer automated system would do if you didn't have the right accent. Very interesting.
p.s. You know the word verification thingy when you want to leave a post? You know how it's supposed to be completely RANDOM letters? I swear to God the other day it was the F word. What are the chances!!??