Sunday, February 10, 2008

Shhhhhhh....

I've got a secret. Don't tell the tourists, but it's spring. No, seriously.

In England. No, seriously! It was 60 degrees today. And SUNNY. In ENGLAND. In FEBRUARY. In fact, it's been unbelievably beautiful weather for the past several days but today took the cake. We went out all day without coats. I was even wearing a 3/4-sleeve sweater. And I actually got hot! Now, I'm not stupid enough to think this will last until real Spring gets here. I'm sure it'll turn bitter and grey again before it's all said and done. But right now, I just don't care. I shall "get while the gettin' be good". And in that vein, we spent the whole weekend out and about.

Saturday, we went to Chichester and Bosham down in the South East of England, near the coast. And despite what this picture may suggest, I was indeed very happy to be doing so.

First stop, Chichester Cathedral.

The Cathedral was consecrated in 1184. So, I guess you could say it's pretty old.

But the spire wasn't added til about 1330. So, it's practically new.

Well, that's a clever name for that house. Yes... very creative, that.

Jason in the Bishop's Palace Gardens

"Umm, hello? Am I early? Or late? I mean, it felt pretty warm under there but it feels so early. I was to'lly still sleeping, you guys."

Me in St. Richard's Walk, so named after well... um... St. Richard, the Bishop of Chichester from 1245 to 1253.

Next, we were off to Bosham (pronounced Bozzum). It's a very quaint little harbour village about 4 miles from Chichester.

Apparently, in Medieval times, this was quite the busy port.



The little Saxon church is said to be the oldest site of Christianity in Sussex.

We read that the tower may have been built originally as a watchtower during the Danish raids.

Well, dis all for for now. We had more adventures today but I'll save those for later... Once you've all purged yourselves of the frenzy of excitement our trip to Chichester no doubt caused.

3 comments:

Aisby said...

Sounds like a gorgeous weekend. Spring in London is fabulous (even if it's only fake spring).

Rino said...

COPY CAT

http://noristudios.com/uktour/uploaded_images/IMG_6208-779818.jpg

ali b said...

If you are inspired and want to find out more about Bosham see http://www.conservancy.co.uk/out/harbour_villages.asp?village=Bosham#detail