Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Bank Holiday Washout

Since Jason and I had been traveling quite a lot lately and I'm leaving to go to New York tomorrow, we decided to take a pass on the second May bank holiday. Not to mention that the weather across almost all of Europe was forecasted to be absolute shite...

So the majority of the long weekend was spent on the sofa in cozy Juicy Couture watching Audrey Hepburn movies and Food TV. And eating. I don't know how he does it but we'll have what appear (to my eye at least) to be hundreds of raw ingredients, none of which actually go together and I'll announce that I'm a tad peckish and Jason will disappear into the kitchen, only to emerge ten minutes later with bruschetta or cheese biscuits or cinnamon butter puff pastry. My mouth says "thank you" but my thighs say "screw you and your superior cooking skills".

Anyway, we did manage to eek out one nice day from the weekend so we took advantage of it and daytripped out to Salisbury. Where the main attraction is, wait for it, a cathedral. Try to hide the shock. (It is, however, the tallest spire in England which I guess is saying something when you think about how many spires there are in England. It also houses one of the last remaining copies of the Magna Carta and the oldest clock in the world. Not bad.)

The cloisters...


View of the cathedral from across the water pastures. I don't know exactly what a "water pasture" is. There was water. And there were pastures. I never thought the 'tween shall meet...

Then we decided to head over to the next town - Wilton. Because our book spoke so highly of it. There were apparently "more antique shops than you can shake a stick at". But you know what there actually was in Wilton? This:

Absolutely shagging nothing. That's what. Eh... you win some you lose some.

So after a quick pint at a pub, it was back to Kondon for us. I kove train trips. I kike to read and kisten to my iPod.

2 comments:

Suze - Manchester UK said...

Right on! The weather was absolute pants this bank holiday weekend!! Especially up north where it rains harder than Gwenyth Paltrow cries at an Oscars ceremony. And that's not easy.
Glad you like Salisbury though.

A Novelist said...

Ohhh, have a blast in NYC. Maybe I'll see you shopping on 5th Avenue? ;)