Friday, June 06, 2008

Anglicisation 98% complete

Holy crap.  I just sent an email that actually said "Thanks ever so much, insert person here.  Very helpful indeed!"  That's a direct quote, I assure you.

Ummm, I'm sorry?  "Ever so much"????  "Indeed"????  Who am I?  Where has the Southern belle gone??  In a former life, that would have read "Thanks sugar.  'Preciate your help on that! How's yore momma doin'?  Hope y'all ain't meltin' in this heat...  You tell Miz insert person here I said hey!

I need to move back to North Carolina - stat.  At least while I was getting ready, I was dancing around the bedroom to The Chairmen of the Board and other quintessential Carolina's beach music instead of crack-headed Brit Amy Winehouse.  That's something, right?

4 comments:

A Novelist said...

You have been tagged! :)

Have a great weekend!

Aisby said...

Don't you mean, "How's yore mama'n'dem?"

I personally love the tidy, polite British colloquialisms, you'll be re-Southernized soon enough.

Suze - Manchester UK said...

oh, you've changed!!
Maybe you CAN take the American out of the girl..

Janet said...

I've picked up the habit of saying "Sorry!" instead of my old "Excuse me!".

I also shocked my friends in Houston about 6 weeks ago by referring to a "car park".

YIKES...

Janet