Friday, June 27, 2008

What IS this phenomenon??

And how did I fall prey to it?  

You know how people talk about "cleaning before the maid comes"?  I always thought that was the silliest thing I'd ever heard.  They know they're coming to clean.  They expect that your house will be dirty since you have expressly asked someone to come clean it for you.

Well, here I am.  Running around the flat like a mental patient.  Lint rolling the sofa where the cats sleep all day. (Those ugly-ass hairless breeds look better and better each time I am tasked with this job.)  Putting away all my embarrassing reading material.  (I don't want anybody making assumptions about me just because I'm reading "Diary of a Married Call Girl" and "I, Elizabeth" simultaneously.)  Emptying trash bins.  (Because my trash?  Ain't nobody's biz-nas.  Nobody needs to know how many tags I've cut off new clothes this week or how many Starbucks Venti Coffee Frappuccino Lights I've purchased.  Plus, I don't want to subject some poor unsuspecting cleaning lady to the discovery of used q-tips and kleenex or the hair I cleaned out of my Mason Pearson.  I know everybody has these items in their own personal trash bins but let's face it - when it belongs to someone else, that's gross!)

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to empty the recycling bin. (Because it also ain't nobody's biz-nas how many empty wine bottles one might find in there.)

3 comments:

Christina said...

Too funny. I was also that person that didn't understand the cleaning before hand, until I too hired someone. My husband just doesn't get it, but I don't think it's their job to clean the catbox or wash my sheets; but that's just me.

eatrunliveCBUS said...

Its OK, as a child who grew up having to clen my room before the cleaning lady came, its because my mother always told me that we didn't pay her enough to clean my room and thus to get her money's worth, we want her to do the things we wnat done - such as vacuuming rugs, scrubbing the toilets, and making the house beautiful. As an adult who has had a cleaning lady (or 2) and seen that they only do 4 hours worth of work, I don't make that work making my bed or picking up my clothes!

Suze - Manchester UK said...

oh dear god. You're seriously cleaning before some eastern european comes to your house to clean. A woman (presumably) who is unable to understand the value, meaning or significance of what most of your trash is, let alone communicate to you just how disgusted she is by it all?
Oh deary me indeed!
PS Mason Pearson hairbrushes rock. I have a pink one. Yes. Pink. Ergo, I rule :)