Monday, August 18, 2008

All good things...

For the second time in our lives, we have two one-way plane tickets in hand.  I don't know quite how to feel about that.

I've been an expat for three years now.  That's my identity.  I'm The Southern Expat.  The girl who traded biscuits for biscuits.  

Once I move back to North Carolina, who will I be?  A repat?  A pat?  I'll tell you who I don't want to be.  I don't want to be that person who dates something with the day first and the month after and then says "Oops!  You'll have to forgive me.  I lived in London for three years."  Or that person who says "Hold the lift please!  Oh gosh, I'm sorry.  I meant to say elevator.  You see, I lived in London for three years."  Or that person who spells color with a "u" and then says "Oh, silly me.  Still adding u's and changing z's to s's!  That's what you get for living in London for three years."

You get the idea.

At the moment, I go from happily daydreaming about life with three Targets in a five mile radius to panicking about all the things we haven't seen or done in London.  One minute, I wonder how I'll cope with not being able to walk everywhere in my neighborhood.  The next I'll wonder how in the world I've managed to cope with a mini refrigerator for three years.

I feel like I'm trapped between two worlds.  And I want to be in both.  But it doesn't work that way.  Mostly because there's an ocean between them.  But right now, there's an ocean between me and some of my favorite people in the world.  And six weeks from tomorrow, there won't be anymore. 

13 comments:

Felanie Melanie said...

And I will be here waiting for you with a big ole hug!!! I know it is going to be tough to leave London, but selfishly, I am very excited about your return!!!

andrea said...

Get out of my head please, it's crowded in there!

Seriously, I could have written this word for word. We will be repats together. And commiserate together. And be joyful over Bojangles and Chick Fil A and Target and a tap that flows both hot and cold water together, not separately, and a separate dryer, and well, you get the point.

I will always be an email away, and know that since we are leaving 4 weeks from, um, this week sometime, I will be feeling the same feelings! :)

geo said...

No. I refuse to see both of you leaving. Not yet. We still have to play a little more.

Beth N said...

Good luck not being "that" person. Things tend to slip out before your brain can censor, spell, or translate. Just a warning.

Aisby said...

I'm happy for you that you'll be getting back to good ole North Cackalacky...but I know it must be difficult. Just remember all the good times you've had and all the good thing you have left to experience.

Aisby said...

And a Bojangles Cajun filet biscuit never hurt a soul!!!!!

Suze - Cheshire, UK said...

I'm with Geo on this. It's too soon. Geo: let's talk strategy on getting them both to stay.
Don't make us come over there when you're gone and start talking bollocks and biscuits!!

bethmorrissey said...

No no, don't go!! But if you must, I'm sure Sue can give you some repat guidance. She even had to retake a driving test when she hit VA. ;)

geo said...

Suze: we could find out their flight number, and then give the airline a phone call to cancel their reservation. Yes! oh, wait! we might have to also find out their landlord information so that they can have a place to live when they realise there is no way to go back to the States. Uhmmm this is going to be more complicated than I expected...

Suze - Cheshire, UK said...

Geo - I have the answer. A bit of Class A in the suitcase - that way they have to stay AND they have a place to live. Genius, yes??

Heather said...

Shame on you Geo and Suze! Plotting my demise on my own blog!

....................... said...

I hope you and Jason can get out and see as much of London (and Europe) as you can before returning to the states. I will miss your London posts and look forward to hearing all about beautiful North Carolina! :)

Raquel

geo said...

"don't turn around, if you wanna see my heart breaking... don't turn around, I don't want you seeing me crying... just walk away, tell me apart that you're leaving. I'm letting you go. But I won't let you know!" oh oh ohohhhh ohhhhh Ace, baby!