Monday, September 15, 2008

The final countdown

Our second-to-last weekend in London (we're in Scotland next weekend so it doesn't count) was very kind to us.  Lots of sunshine.  Bright blue skies.  Nary a raindrop in sight.  So on Saturday, we had breakfast at our favorite cafe, Love Food and then headed down to the farmer's market to pick up ingredients for my spectacular aubergine parmigiana (Although I suppose it's Mario Batali's spectacular aubergine parmigiana if I'm being honest).  We also stopped by the stand where two American guys sell their amazing baked goods.  We picked up a slice of cake for dessert, two muffins for Sunday's breakfast and a cheese scone just for funsies.

Later we stopped in for a pint at one of our favorite riverside pubs in Richmond, The White Cross and realized we had arrived smack on time to see the Great River Race go by.

I have to say, it's not that often you come across a Confederate flag over here...

As I sat there, watching the sun sparkle across the water, with Richmond Bridge in the background I felt the familiar sting at the backs of my eyelids and the baseball lodging itself in my throat. This has been happening quite a lot lately... One minute I can't wait to be back home and the next I feel like I don't ever want to leave this place.  I can now state with confidence that a pub is not an ideal place to break down into tears.

Saturday evening, we had a nice time eating our faces off and being enthralled by the new Genius sidebar in iTunes.  (This is going to get VERY expensive for us.  Especially when you're a frequent drunk downloader as both Jason and I are.)  Other than Jason giving himself an unintentional paraffin treatment when he tried to carry lit votive candles across the living room, the evening passed without incident.  I, personally, was keen to get to bed early because the sooner I went to sleep, the sooner Sunday Morning Muffin Time came.

Sunday, we set off for King's Road to go to a great store that specializes in antiques from India.  

We got there and they still hadn't opened so we ended up walking down the street and paying ludicrous prices for mediocre food at The Big Easy while we waited.  I mean, really!  I saw on their menu that they charge 8 quid for two Krispy Kreme doughnuts and some chocolate sauce for dipping.  Ridiculous!  Chalk up a point for the "Things I Won't Miss About London" column.  At least they had the USC/Ohio State game on.  I can't wait to get back for football season.

We ended the day by walking up to the top of Richmond Hill and enjoying a couple of ciders.  

Richmond Hill, I think I'll miss you most of all...

3 comments:

Suze - Cheshire, UK said...

That title of this blog distracted me from the actual text, sorry! I now Europe's fabulous riff in my head, though.
What's this about missing a damned hill more than all of us? Are you high???

Muz and Mo said...

Ahhhh I totally understand - so hard to leave London even though the things coming up are great & exciting!
We randomly saw that river race last year as well!! Bizarre huh?
Have a great last week !!

Alice said...

For a minute there I thought I was looking at a picture of the Chatahoochee in Atlanta. But then I realized there were no intertubes or floating coolers. :)

I hope the rest of your time in London is wonderful. Many wishes for a safe trip home.