Friday, September 12, 2008

Girls

So, in these last days of my expat life, I've been starting to reflect on things...  What else am I going to do?  We have no furniture, no Sky TV and a girl can only read so much teen vampire fiction.  (I've never been able to resist a good hype marketing campaign.)

One of the joys of this three year experiment is that I've made some absolutely amazing girlfriends.  Ones I know that I'll keep in contact with.  I arrived here so lonely and so lost, but before too long,  I had my own entourage.  To wit:

By a random twist of fate, I met Monique.  I knew within minutes of our introduction that I liked her.  How can you not?  So genuine, so sweet, and (my favorite thing about her) so innocent that she always prefaces a cuss word with "Now, I don't swear, but..."  She and Murray were our gig buddies.  We always knew that if a concert rolled around that we wanted to see, we should just go ahead and buy four tickets because they were always up for it.

Then came Andrea.  We met for lunch and bonded over our love for the Southern institution of Chick-Fil-A.  Then I invited her to Ascot and got blind drunk but she still liked me anyway.  So I knew she was a keeper.  When you've seen me like that and decide you still want to hang out with me, that's something special.  Plus, it's nice to finally have a friend who is clumsier than me.

Then there was Geo.  Geo who treated me like a minor celebrity the first time we met.  Geo who can always see the good in anyone or anything.  Geo who keeps me in stitches with the stories of her misuse of American slang.  (My favorite being how some headache medicine "knocked her up" instead of "knocked her out".)

Then there was Beth.  My shopping buddy.  My museum buddy.  My theatre buddy.  My tea time buddy.  My "Bring it On" buddy.  My drinking buddy.  My buddy, period.  I miss her desperately now that she's back in the States.  My only regret about our friendship is that we didn't find each other sooner.  We literally lived minutes away from each other for the longest time...

Finally, there was Suze.  Our story is a simple one.  We met at a sex toy party at Monique's flat.  (Maybe not so innocent after all, now that I think about it, hmmmm Mo?)  Time passed.  We started commenting on each other's blogs and emailing and then we realized we had met before.  At the sex toy party.  And how can you not love that?  So now we drink together.  It's a healthy relationship.

On the flip side, there's also the friends I left back in North Carolina.

Catherine, with whom I can sit and do Saturday Night Live impressions until we're laughing so hard we can't breathe.  (Ahm Nahncay Graaaaahce.  Congrahdyoolaations.  You're on telahvishuuuun.)  She thinks I'm way funnier than I actually am.  (Now a general prerequisite for future friendships because I thrive on the self-esteem boost.)  She protected me at my bachelorette party.  (From stupid girl drama, but not from the redbull and vodkas.)  She consoled me when I got my first negative pregnancy test.  (Because she knew...oh, how she knew.)  She gives the best gifts and I both love her and hate her for it.  (Jewelry, Sephora gift cards and spa trips, oh my!)

Melanie, who can drink me under the table.  My favorite thing about Melanie is that she names all her possessions....Pearl, her Acura SUV; Keesha, her iPod; Lucinda, her rat tail hair extension...  When I met Melanie on my first day of work at the last job I had in Raleigh, I went home and told Jason "You will seriously not believe the people who are in my training.  This one girl is so loud and she's already giving out weird nicknames to people she just met.  But I think I like her."  My least favorite thing about Melanie is that I just found out that she's moving to Denver, although not unexpectedly, a lot sooner than we originally thought.  And while I understand why she has to go, I'm beyond sad that we're going to miss seeing each other in NC by three days.  Great.  Now I'm crying again.

What all this boils down to is that I love girls.  I need them in my life.  I've gone through a lot of chick drama to get to this point where I have such an amazing network of friends.  I love each of them to bits and I know that no matter how many miles separate us, I'll still count them among my favorite people in the world.

11 comments:

Steph said...

One day my friend, we will meet in real life. Promise. Crossies fingers, k?

Suze - Cheshire, UK said...

Awww, I love you too. Maybe even more than vodka, but don't push it, m'K?
xxx

iseattleite said...

What a sweet post! Good luck with your upcoming move back to the states.

Raquel :)

Felanie Melanie said...

Oh wow...thanks for bringing on the tears again :(...whew how on earth am I gonna make it??? UUGGHH...

Alice said...

Awww....there is nothing like them is there?

geo said...

Awwww. Thanks, Heather! You are a big celebrity now. I wasn't that crazy after all...
I still don't know how to use the 'knocking out/off/up' expressions. They all sound the same to me! Please don't go yet, I have so many other mixed up slangs to share!

shanna said...

enjoy following your blog, you are a great writer. ran across this...you should try it and then post it to your blog. kind of fun. shanna
http://wordle.net/

Muz and Mo said...

ahhh that is so sweet:) we can't wait to catch up with you guys - I miss ya!
but OMG!!!! that was not a TOY party, it was a party for clothes & stuff too - OMG my inlaws read this blog!
lol
:)

Andy M. said...

As one soon-to-be-former-expat to another, I wanted to let you know how much fun it is to read your blog. In honor of this, I have decided to pass on the Brillante Weblog Premio 2008 blogger award to you! (See our latest post on http://seekingrb.blogspot.com)

Use once, bask in the glory, and pass on to other deserving bloggers who deserve recognition. And best of luck with your move back to the US!

Beth N said...

You DO love me. Yay! (I do need constant affirmation of these things. No, I'm not needy.)

I can't wait till you move back. NC is a 1.5 hr flight from NY. It's not quite Fulham, but what'ya gonna do?

andrea said...

I am so late to the game but this was so sweet - I mean, if we can drink too much champagne, make fun of chavs at ascot, and stand for hours to see New Kids perform 4 songs and stay friends then I know we were meant to be friends!