Monday, December 22, 2008

Your wish is my command

I've had a few requests for the crack cookies recipe.  Threats against one of my kittehs, even.  (Santa is watching you, Suze.)  So in the interest of protecting my loved ones this holiday season, I present to you the official recipe for my Great Aunt Kate's Crack Sugar Cookies.

1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1/2 cup (1 stick) margarine
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
red and green sugar for decoration

Cream shortening, brown and white sugars, egg, vanilla and margarine until fluffy.  Sift remaining dry ingredients together.  Stir wet and dry mixtures together, adding little by little.  Roll one tablespoon of dough into a ball and dip into colored sugar.  (For easier rolling, place dough in the fridge for about 30 minutes.) Place two inches apart on a greased cookie sheet.  (Do not flatten.)  Bake at 350 degrees for 10 - 12 minutes, depending on your oven.  Makes about 50 cookies.

Enjoy!

4 comments:

Shari said...

Thanks Heather! Will try and make these delicious cookies this holiday season.

Anonymous said...

Do you use self-rising or all-purpose flour? Thank you, and I look forward to trying this recipe this week!

Heather said...

All purpose flour. I should make note of that in the post...

Aisby said...

Yum!! I may try these tomorrow. Thanks