Saturday, January 10, 2009

The irony. It slays me.

So, for the record, I just want to reassure everyone that I am aware that I am guilty of misappropriation of apostrophe on two accounts in my post below. You know the post I mean? The one where I talk about embarking on a career as a WRITER?? I was proofreading it a few minutes ago and I noticed it then.

I know that Manolo does not own "if" and I was not trying to create suspense on the other one at the end of the sentence. I know someone was out there thinking "I don't know Manolo's WHAT??? Manolo's vision?? Manolo's superior craftsmanship??? Manolo's price point?? WHAT? It's killing me!"

As a general rule, I think writers should have a pretty basic grasp on PUNCTUATION. And I just want to make sure everybody knows that my error was a typo, not lack of punctuation skillzz. There are a few routine typos I make, even though I know the correct usage. And adding an apostrophe is one of them. I do it sometimes on "its/it's" and I don't often realize it until much later.

I'm going to correct it now but just to preserve my idiocy for future generations of blog readers, here's the original mistake:
You know how they say to 'write what you know'. Well, how am I supposed to WRITE about Manolo's if I don't KNOW Manolo's??
Now, carry on.  Nothing to see here.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

As long as you don't make any comma faults, you're A-OK in my book.

Heather said...

Uh-oh. Commas are not my strong suit. I think I usually do pretty well with them but I don't think I know all the rules. Maybe I'll have to do some studying so as not to offend...

Amy said...

Long-time lurker here. (Hi.)

As an editor and former technical writer, I encourage you to not obsess over punctuation and/or spelling or other mechanics. That's what proofreaders are for. What's most important is STYLE, and lucky for you, you also have plenty of that. Focusing too much on punctuation can make you lose focus, which will affect your style of writing. Just WRITE, and the fans will come!

Believe me, they don't care about a few misplaced apostrophes (or commas)!

Suze - Cheshire, UK said...

I always knew you were one semicolon short of a full sentence :)

Muz and Mo said...

Good luck!!! It sounds like a great venture:)

Suze - Cheshire, UK said...

Wait - you know you've still let one typo slip through, right? Ping me if you can't spot it... :)
Your loving spelchekker xx

Heather said...

Oh Lord, Suze - I wish I could but my eyes simply have gone on strike. I've been typing and reading non-stop all day and I don't think I could pick it out even if I tried right now. You're going to have to give it up sister!

Suze - Cheshire, UK said...

I could look rather foolish here if this is a cultural difference between the US and UK, but I think the word is 'boutique'.
Love the DVF geo print though... I could totally get into that. I need accessory tips though!

Alice said...

As someone who MAJORED in Journalism and MINORED in English, you'd think I'd have a better grasp of puncutation rules, too. But I don't. So slap the words up there. We know what you're trying to say anyway. I, for one, certainly won't hold you responsible for any errant commas.:) Congratulations on your new venture. I hope it is WILDLY successful!