Monday, March 16, 2009

Insomniac

Oh the joys of insomnia... I started reading New Moon (the second book in the Twilight series) last Thursday evening and just got to the meat of the story tonight. I won't ruin it for anyone who hasn't gotten to it yet, but it gets very meaty indeed around page 233. Next thing I know, it's 12:30 so I force myself to put it down.

However, I could not fall asleep. So instead of lying there on my stomach, counting the number of times I could turn my ankles in circles before it started to hurt (yes, really), I decided to take the opportunity to catch up on a quick post before I face the next few days without my laptop. And though Jason has generously offered up his company-issued Dell (with a f**ked up UK keyboard) during the evenings when he won't need it, it's hardly the same as having my sleek, silver PowerBook by my side. Therefore, I start the week in mourning. So, let's talk about that...

I mentioned on Friday that I was taking her to the Mac genius bar for a little check-up after Jason dropped her on her plug (reason number 544 we should never have children) last week. What an experience that turned out to be. My first appointment was at Crabtree Valley Mall and "Hey lady! You want the good news or the bad news first?!? Well, the good news is that it's a simple repair and we have the part in stock and we could fix it in-house instead of sending it out, which would cost a lot more! The bad news, however, is that this particular store is closing for rennovations and we're not taking anymore repair orders until we re-open in mid to late April, depnding on the construction schedule and we all know how reliable those are, right?!? Ha ha ha, ho ho ho. But you could try the store at Southpoint. I don't know if they have the part or if they'll do it in-house but you can try!"

I start to cry.

"Can you call them and find out before I go all the way out there? Please?" "I could, but they don't answer their phone during busy times. But you can use one of the display computers to make an appointment with their genius bar!"

I cry harder.

But I get an appointment for 7:45 that evening and drive to Durham. "Hey lady! You want the good news or the bad news first?!? Well, the good news is that it's a simple repair and we can fix it in-house instead of sending it out, which would cost a lot more! The bad news, however, is that, first, we don't have the part in stock so we'll have to order it (and no, they can't get it from Crabtree - believe me, I asked) and second, the Crabtree Valley store is closing for rennovations and we're getting all their overflow repair orders so turnaround time is 7 to 10 days after we get your part in."

I cry again.

But this time, something extraordinary happens. My WWBD (What Would Blair Do - as in Blair Waldorf of Gossip Girl) reflex kicks in and I ask "Can I pay more to get it back faster?? I'll do it! You just name your price, mister!" And of course you can pay to jump the queue. There's always a way for annoying elitists like me to get things done quicker by throwing money at the situation.

So the morals of the story are:
1) Don't let anyone put their PC-handling paws on your Mac, lest they drop it
2) Watch Gossip Girl regularly for loads of life-lessons from Blair Waldorf
3) When life throws you lemons, throw money back

In other news, our Lexus got hit today. Wonderful. Luckily, Jason wasn't in it so nothing to worry about there. The girl who hit it wasn't hurt, just incredibly upset, according to Jason. (With reason - afterall, she did just slam into a LARGE WHITE PARKED SUV. Good grief.) But, we can't complain really. She had good insurance so there shouldn't be any problems. Fingers crossed for a painless repair...

And in our entertainment section, I would like to extend a hearty thanks to Tracy Morgan for bringing back Brian Fellow's Safari Planet on SNL this weekend. It was truly a bright spot amidst a pile-of-shit-weekend. "That cow is uppity! Someone needs to remind that cow she's a cow!"

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do what I did and just buy yourself a spare laptop. It doesn't hurt to have a backup.

Caitlin said...

Ugh, there is nothing more frustrating than computer problems.

Two things -

1) Love Blair Waldorf.
2) How are you finding New Moon? I didn't love it. I don't like Jacob. I'm worried the movie is going to be 90% Jacob, only 10% Edward.

Anna said...

Do you watch "30 Rock"? Tracey says shit like that every episode and it makes my life better.

Also, I am really really interested to hear your opinion of the last "Twilight" book... I sort of read the whole series because I got hooked and I hated myself for it.

Heather said...

Caitlin - I'm liking New Moon actually. Mostly because I'm incredibly intriqued by the whole werewolf thing (and the werewolf vs. vampire thing), much as I was about the vampire thing in Twilight. But I totally know what you mean about the whole Jacob/Edward imbalance. I'm definitely missing the Cullen dynamic.

Anna - I do watch 30 Rock and love his character on that show. He does have a kind of Brian Fellow air about him... Are you talking my opinion on the final book of the series? If so, I'll definitely post something about it when I make it that far... I've heard it's a disappointment.

Vegemite Wife said...

I feel your Apple pains. The Dog chewed his way through my iPod last night. I am totally bereft.