Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Alas...

It was not meant to be.  As I've already mentioned, yes - they were tired, yes - there were injuries, and no - they were not the same team that played in the first two rounds, not even close.  And I think anybody who watched our post-season in its entirety will concur with that assessment.  But that's not to take away from the outstanding effort by the Pens.  They played hard and absolutely deserved the win.  

However, I will also say that I really really really hope the Blackhawks snap out of it and come back against Detroit because there's no way in hell I could ever pull for the Wings to win the Cup.  And after the interactions I've had with most (by all means, not all...but definitely most) Pens fans during this too-short series, I don't think I could bring myself to pull for them either.  I hear that the Buffalo fans from the 2006 playoffs were way worse but we were in London then so we didn't have to get to experience that.  So, for me, the Pens take the cake for the disrespect they showed in our house and towards our fans in the parking lot before and after the game.

This was the message on the LCD that runs around the arena before the game - NO RETREAT  NO SURRENDER.  And I'm proud of our guys because they fought till the very end.  Even after Cam was pulled and the Pens scored an empty netter, they hustled and scrapped till there were all zeroes on the clock.  As a fan, that's all I can ask.  We gave them a standing O for the last couple of minutes and during the handshake line.  So if they had to lose, I'm ever so glad it happened at home so they could get the thank you sendoff they deserved.

It's been a fun ride.  The whole city was behind this team.  Crabtree Valley mall put up banners...

and even had a sand sculpture made.

All the city buses had GO CANES! flashing on their route displays.  Businesses all over town put posters in the windows and tons of cars (including both of ours) were sporting flags and magnets and honking at each other when we passed.  It was a great atmosphere and I'm so happy we were able to be here for it this time.

So, all is said and done.  We attended every single home game of the playoffs and here's what we have to show for it.  A collection of rally towels and a stack of ticket stubs...

What next?  Why, season tickets for next year, of course.

6 comments:

The Tune's said...

I think what is next is to frame that lovely red jersey of Jason's all signed and display it!

Heather said...

Hi Libby! I just wanted to say that I enjoyed being able to banter with you during the CAR/NJ series. You never took anything I said seriously and were always sharp, yet respectful in your comments. I think most people know that any slams I make on a city or state during any sport playoffs are purely for fun and not meant in a mean-spirited way.

Sorry to go so off-topic here but I just wanted to thank you for taking all my jabs in stride, and in the way it was intended - pure, meaningless smacktalk.

:-)

The Tune's said...

Heather it is all in the name of sportsmanship! I think a few of your readers took it too much to heart and need to lighten up. You have to be a good sport and can't take everything to the heart.

Looking forward to next season!!!!

Ginger said...

Heather, I hope you aren't suffering from PPDS (post playoff depression syndrome). In my experience with any P(fill-in-the-blank)DS, the best cure is new stuff. If I were you I'd take that Neverfull and try to fill it! And after you fill the Neverfull, try the Lexus....

bohemianbailie said...

My boyfriend is from Sweden where hockey is life and he was sorely dissapointed by the fans at the Ducks and then Kings games we went to this season. The great thing is though after reading all your coverage we have decided that we must see a Canes home game next season!!

Heather said...

Ginger, I am absolutely suffering from PPDS. And I like your cure. I'm getting right on that!

Bailie, that's great! It really is an atmosphere that I can't describe in words... It's slightly less frantic during the regular season, but we are known to have one of the best crowds in the NHL. It's my favorite thing about Raleigh by far. Please do come on out and see a game at the RBC - you guys will love it! (We do have one Swedish player, at least for now...Niclas Wallin.)