Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Another weekend, another beer (or ten)

Well, we thought last weekend was a sight to see but, turns out it had nothing on what was in store for us. Ladies and gentlemen, behold... Ilot Sacré.

Do I know what it means? No.

(But I love what FreeTranslation.com turned out for me: Sacred Ilot. Thanks for that! Considering most people know that sacré means sacred, that was probably the most useless information ever.)

Despite much googling, all I can figure out is that it's an annual festival celebrating the heritage of several different Belgian cultures. If any of my fellow Belgian expats have more insight, please feel free to holla.

Anyway, I imagine it was a great excuse for this guy to cart out a Menneken Pis on wheels that shoots water (dear god, please let it be water) from its well, you know...p-e-n-i-s and stroll around the Grand Place squirting people with water-dear-god-please-let-it-be-water. (The girl in the red shirt and white shorts looks suitably wary, no?)

Oh my. And then came these guys. Well, they were just my favorite part of the whole dang thing!

What's not to love?!? Guys in bonnets and ostrich plume headpieces with what appeared to be pillows on their fronts and backs stuffed under their costumes, creating music with their their wooden clogs and bells attached to their belts and throwing oranges at to the crowd! ZOMG!!!!!1!!11

Jason and his prize orange.

This gentleman, who I assumed was an oft-humiliated groom-to-be on his stag do/bachelor party, was the life of the party. And since you asked, why yes! That most certainly is a spandex wrestling onesie he's wearing with a pink lace garter, a feather boa, a lei, a pink wig, pink lace fingerless gloves, a baby blue hardhat with beer and flexi-straws attached and an I heart Beer flag.

Sunday, after a hearty breakfast, we headed out for some more exploring while waiting for the Ilot Sacré festivities to recommence. And damned if we didn't run smack into one of the cafes featured on one of our most favoritest shows ever, Three Sheets. In fact, Belgium was the very first location featured on this series and Brussels remains, to this day, the host's number one ranked place to drink in the world.

In this episode, Zane went to both Delirium (I think we're all well versed on how much I lurrve that place) and A la Mort Subite, which translates to "sudden death".

Not to mention, we were waited on by the very same gentleman with whom Zane chatted on the show. Why, we're practically celebrities.

Then it was back to the Grand Place to take in more culture and stuff. By "and stuff", I of course mean one of these bad boys...

While very lovely, Sunday's entertainment was rather tame compared to Saturday's. How can you possibly compete with guys in bonnets and ostrich plume headpieces with what appeared to be pillows on their fronts and backs stuffed under their costumes, creating music with their their wooden clogs and bells attached to their belts and throwing oranges at to the crowd?

Well, to be fair, there were the waiter races... Yet, though he wasn't a part of the scheduled festivities, the waiters could hardly compete with the oft-humiliated groom-to-be on his stag do/bachelor party wearing a spandex wrestling onesie with a pink lace garter, a feather boa, a lei, a pink wig, pink lace fingerless gloves, a baby blue hardhat with beer and flexi-straws attached and an I heart Beer flag.

So, all in all - Saturday, you win. Hands down.

But, the day was not over yet. We managed to squeeze in a trip to...SURPRISE!!!...Delirium. (Not surprised, you say?) But, real SURPRISE!!! - I did not order the Delirium Tremens. I thought I should branch out and try something different. So I let Jason take charge and "order me up somethin' real nice". He came out to the table with this elaborate setup. I knew not what to do.

This cracked me up real good. I love the little pregnant lady drawing with a big red "NO" slash over it. It's not a half bad idea though. If one is stupid enough to drink strong Belgian beer while they're baking a bun, perhaps one needs illustrations instead of words.

Well, that's a wrap on another weekend in our new home. This coming weekend, we're planning to take off on a little adventure of some sort. Don't know what yet. But that's the great thing about Belgium. It's such a compact little country and there are loads of little towns and villages and plenty of countryside to explore. Drive for 20 minutes or drive for 2 hours... Either way, at the end will most definitely be something worth checking out.

2 comments:

Ashely said...

Oh, thanks goodness! I was going through my heezyfasheezy post withdrawl. I thought of you last night as I watched perhaps the best episode of glee to date. Like the picture warning on the beer - I think we could use those over here.

Heather said...

OMG Ashely - I'm watching it right now! It IS the best one yet :)