Friday, September 04, 2009

Leap and the net will appear

Okay. Deep breaths. As everyone knows by now, big changes are afoot at Sanger Corporate Headquarters. And things have been moving at the speed of light. My head is spinning and I often find myself standing in the middle of a room, surrounded by boxes and nearly 14 years worth of our history, just looking around and not knowing where to start or what to do next.

Here's the shake-down. Tomorrow, we fly to Belgium. A wonderful opportunity has come up and all we know right now is that we're checking into a hotel upon our arrival and we'll stay there for a few weeks (My dream has finally come true. I've always wanted to live in a hotel like Eloise at The Plaza.) until all the details can be sorted. We know this will last for about three months and that we should be back in the States by Christmas. The past couple weeks have been the most ridiculous whirlwind I've ever experienced. (Ha. And four years ago I thought moving to London on a two month's notice was insane. That's nothing.)

As in, one evening I was sitting on my couch thinking about how I couldn't wait for Glee to start and the next day, I found out that I would be waiting for the first season on DVD. As in, one day I was thinking about how I could not WAIT for hockey season to start and the next day, I was listing two-to-three months worth of our season tickets for sale. ($500 for 8 games, including parking passes - call me!) As in, one day I was telling everybody how excited I was to fly out to Denver to see Melanie and go to The Killers concert at Red Rocks and the next day, I was emailing Melanie to tell her we couldn't make it and would she please try to sell our tickets for us.

And you know, we decided that packing up some suitcases and flying to Europe just wasn't enough to keep us busy. So in the middle of all this we decided to sell our house. We had been wanting to get it on the market for a while but we just couldn't motivate ourselves to actually go through with it. (Plus, we loved the adorable little mortgage payment that went along with our adorable little house. Pocket change, people. Pocket change.)

But we decided this was the perfect opportunity because 1) we won't be here to have to deal with the showings and having to keep it spotless between maid visits; 2) our furry children won't be here to lay atomic bombs in the litter box right before people walk in the door [they have a truly uncanny knack for this], and 3) nothing like an $8,000 tax credit for first time homebuyers to motivate a young couple to take the plunge!

(And you know, nevermind the fact that we will be straight up HOMELESS upon our return. Eh, we'll deal with that later.)

(Also nevermind that I totally underestimated the emotional impact of moving out of our first house and have basically broken into tears every time we take another load to the storage unit.)

(Oh yes, and let's not even discuss how many times I have cuddled the preshus kittehs and started sobbing at the thought of leaving them. Even though they'll be at a very nice "Pet Resort and Spa" in a "luxury rainforest condo" with "panoramic views over the bird yard" and an "HD tv simulated aquarium" to keep them entertained... Still. The sobbing. It's started again.)

So despite the fact that it seemed like an insurmountable task to get all this done, we said "bring it". As a wise man once said, "Leap and the net will appear." So that's what we're counting on. We're jumping and crossing our fingers that something catches us.

(P.S. I hope you're right, Jason Mraz.)

14 comments:

The Tune's said...

What wonderful news! Belgium here you come! Lots of brussilian beer to be consumed and more European adventures coming your way! Here is to a wonderful three months over there a few more Christmas markets and many great memories!

Ashely said...

Oh my goodness!! I wish you guys good luck! (and, in selfishness, I am a little excited at getting to visit another foreign country vicariously through you) I know you'll have a blast!

Ashely said...

Oh, and I just got a big hankerin' for some waffles.

Alice said...

Oh wow. How exciting!! I once heard you can't cross a chasm in two small leaps...so, you know, make the jump BIG. Congrats. Can't wait to continue reading about all your adventures.

Can I go stay with your kitties? It sounds like the kind of R&R I need. :)

Sara said...

Very exciting! Can't wait to see all of your travels!

Have so much fun!!

andrea said...

Remember, you promised me to consume beer and chocolate for me and Lee. I am holding you to that :) Have a great trip!

Kathy said...

Wow, sounds like another fantastic adventure !! Congrats on taking a brave new plunge. I'm sure it will be worth it. Would it be totally nosy of me to ask what field of work Jason is in that opens up these amazing international opportunities ? Maybe I need to explore a change of career....

Kate said...

Long time reader, first time commenter. Not sure where you will be based, but I spent 3 months in Brussels for my husband's job last year (we live in London), and absolutely loved it. It's a really livable city, and I would move back in a heartbeat. Looking forward to your upcoming posts, and feel free to give me a shout if you have any questions. Safe travels!

Jessi said...

Sounds amazing. Have a wonderful time in Belgium. My hubby lived in Brussels for 3 years (before we met) and had a wonderful time. Looking forward to seeing pictures from fabulous trips and a little jealous you'll be going to Christmas markets.

Suze - Cheshire, UK said...

I can't tell you how excited I am that you're coming back over this way and to be meeting up with you again soon! So, for purely selfish reasons, this is AWESOME. I'm getting a banana-beer thirst on right now...!

Shari said...

Congrats! That's great news...and you're not far from London, only a Eurostar ride away. By the way, you can still watch Glee by going online. There are a few websites that air American TV shows the day after it's on in the states.

Monique said...

How exciting!!! GL with your new country - have a GREAT time:)

Alexandra Taylor said...

Welcome to Belgium! Don't let the beautiful weather we're having fool you - lock up the suede shoes because the rain will eventually hit!

MrsBlueberry said...

Wow! Congrats on the opportunity! I can't wait to see Belgium through your blog! Our house is on the market right now too and I would much rather be in another country than here to deal with showings all the time. Good choice!