Monday, September 14, 2009

On your 6:00 news: A hard-hitting look at apartment life in Europe

Our first full weekend here in Brussels turned out to be a doozy as we had a rollicking good time with Phil and Suze, our guests from Jolly Ol'. And photos of all that transpired will be coming soon. But first, I thought I'd share some observations on our new furnished apartment.

Though it is overall a lovely apartment with loads of windows...

In a very lovely location mere steps away from this...

And it even has one of these... (Yay for ice cubes!)

It is not without its problems. For example, perhaps less of the furnishings budget should have been spent on shiny bowls and vases.


And more of that budget spent on bed pillows.

The outlet in the bathroom has been disabled (presumably so I won't attempt to blow dry and/or straighten my hair while having a nice soak in the tub) and with that being the location of the only mirror in the whole place, I have been reduced to this.

There is no wi-fi, therefore I am basically chained to the desk area (or at least to within about 6 feet of it). I wasn't even sure ethernet cables still existed outside of hotels. I mean, WHO DOESN'T HAVE WI-FI IN THIS DAY AND AGE?????

And then there's this. I lived with this joke of an appliance for three years in London. This contraption is supposed to wash and then dry your laundry. In reality, it washes and then proceeds to make your laundry slightly less damp than it was before - unless you add another 60 minutes to the drying cycle, in which case it turns your laundry into a crumpled hot mess (which is still not entirely dry). Furthermore, the space inside is roughly equal to a large mixing bowl and will fit approximately one pair of jeans and a sock.

Now. I know, I know... Poor thing. She gets to live in the heart of Europe and travel to amazing places and experience amazing things and live an overall fairly charmed life... Don't think for a second that I'm forgetting that there are worse problems to have than these. So don't cry for me, Argentina. Just remember that when I'm off exploring some stunning hidden gem of a village in the Flanders countryside, I'll have to come home and do my laundry in that thing.

9 comments:

andrea said...

Ah, the washer/dryer combo. How I do not miss that one bit at all.

But the apartment is cute!

Smocha said...

I would kill for the dryer combo. I have the old lady underware rack to dry my clothes to a nice stiff mess.

Yeah, why must we be so stupid as to use hairdryers while right IN the bathtub. Now ,we can't be trusted to have an outlet. Extension cord baby.

Love the furnished apartment. Your living room is enormous compared to ours.

The Tune's said...

How I don't envy that "thing" that you have in your apartment. I don't even think it has the right to be called a "Washer and/or dryer"

Well That's a Good Scottish Name... said...

I sometimes look around Europe and wonder why everyone is not a crumpled mess....seriously that washer/dryer combo is the WORST! The US does have certain perks that are pretty nice for household duties!

Sara said...

This cracked me up.... I hated our washer/dryer contraption in NZ!

We had a friend that moved to London and called the repair guy because the dryer was not working.....
he told her it was called a "dryer" it makes your clothes dryer.... not dry... and then walked out! :)

MoChi said...

I always say that the reason I stayed in the same flat in London for 4 1/2 years was because we had a real American-style tumble dryer. I was the only person I knew in the city that had one and it was heaven!! :)

Suze - Cheshire, UK said...

Well I loved the apartment even though I found it tough to dry my hair by feel! Niggles aside, best Euro-flat by a mile. Classic Rock pub opposite might wear thin, and I reckon you'll break into the apartment upstairs to turn off that darn alarm clock before the end of the week :)

Caitlin said...

Love the apartment but would seriously have issues with the hair drying station. I used to have to dry mine in the hallway. Not ideal. I won't even go into the washer/dryer combo except to say it's on my list to blog about! Again!

Beth N said...

"We had a friend that moved to London and called the repair guy because the dryer was not working.....
he told her it was called a "dryer" it makes your clothes dryer.... not dry... and then walked out! :)"

That comment just made my day!