Friday, October 30, 2009

Things that bother me more than they should

1. Misuse of there/their/they're, your/you're, two/too/to, (added per Andrea's request:) lose/loose, (added per Aisby and Cyndi's request:) I/me, (added per Robin's request:) our/are, (added per Meg's request:) its/it's and (added per Suze's request:) using "would of" when it should be "would have"...among other similar infractions.

2. People who like a band until they get successful and then say stupid stuff like "They sold out. They went all commercial." Umm, no. They were hungry. They needed to make money. To live.

3. People who call in to radio stations. Seriously? You have nothing better to do than call a DJ to answer his stupid poll? "Should Lady GaGa wear pants more often? Call up and tell us what you think!" STFU and play some music. Seriously, STFU.

4. Girl comb overs (Fig. 1 See Ashley Simpson, far right.), often found in mass quantities in southern sororities.

5. Paris Hilton's fake baby voice. Nails, meet chalkboard.

6. When someone emails you asking for info, advice, etc. and you take the time to really answer their questions thoughtfully and in detail and then they never reply back and say thanks.

7. The bureaucracy in Europe. I don't know how anything ever gets done here.

And that's just off the top of my head. If I think of more, I'll edit this post to add them.

Evidently, someone had a bowl of Cranky Flakes for breakfast.

19 comments:

andrea said...

Can you add loose/lose to number 1? Because it is ridiculous. And the girl combover is fug.

Heather said...

Damn right I will! Drives me up a wall...

Aisby said...

Can you add me/I. It drives me nuts when people can't tell when to use them correctly.

Cyndi said...

And also in number 1 please add the improper use of "I" as when someone says "Come visit Darrin and I." Hopefully no one would say "Come visit I," but then perhaps people do these days. It seems that the use of the word "me" has unfortunately fallen by the wayside.

Heather said...

You got it girls! Thanks for reminding me of this one :)

Heather said...

Or should I say "Thanks for reminding I of this one"?

Shari said...

#6 is a huge pet peeve of mine! It's so impolite and you feel like you wasted your time.

Great list, I agree with them all.

Robin said...

word on the whole "their/there, etc" fiasco. makes me want to scream. i probably need to let it go, but i can't.

how about "our and are"? now, this one really gets my goat. they don't even SOUND alike! and yet....

Alice said...

:)

Heather said...

Are/our???? That's AWFUL!

Meg said...

This is fantastic! I totally agree. What about its/it's. That seems to be growing in popularity.

Heather said...

Ahhh yes, how could I forget it's/its? This post has really drawn in the grammar nazis!! Love it!

Suze - Cheshire, UK said...

Can you please add 'would of' when you should say 'would have'.
This post reminds me of Friends and the Episode where Ross says:
Y O U ' R E Means "You Are", Y O U R Means "Your".

Heather said...

Good one Suze. On a side note, all these comments are making me totally lose faith in the rest of the English-speaking population. Are people really this stupid? I fear yes.

Beth N said...

How about the chav's use of "me" instead of "my." As in "I gots to get me supper.

Like nails on a chalkboard...

Heather said...

Thanks a lot for bringing up that painful memory, B. My brain shriveled up a tiny bit every time I heard chavs talk.

peachesandcurry said...

Nice! How about using "more" + "-er"... like "more better" and "more quicker"?

-Shaloot

Heather said...

Aaarrgghhh! Good one, Shaloot!

DLong said...

How about then/than? I just received a company wide e-mail with that mistake! EERK