Tuesday, January 12, 2010

I'm bringing Christmas back (yeah)

Them other bloggers don't know how to act (yeah)
I think it's special and that's a fact (yeah)
So read on down for the cheer you lack (yeah)

First, a reminder of how my holiday began... If you're not in the mood for the click through game, allow me to refresh your memory. Blizzards, cancelled flights, stranded in Newark, a death-defying hotel shuttle ride, a Holiday Inn and a slightly off bottle of Moet. That about sums it up. Good times.

The beautiful view we awoke to the next morning... Oh Newark, I wish I knew how to quit you. Youuuu arrrre soooooo beautiful, to meeeee...can't you seeeeee?

But you know, other than all that, we had a lovely holiday. And my family lives in western NC, where they usually get more snow than in Raleigh. So we were delighted to see that we were going to have a white Christmas! I can't remember the last time there was snow on the ground at Christmas. But with snow come some challenges. One being the path of icy death at the B&B where Jason and I stay when we visit my fam. Staying at a B&B for Christmas makes me feel like I'm in The Family Stone. (Except that we're not a bi-racial gay couple.)

My great-grandparents' farm, covered in snow...

As is our tradition, we spent Christmas Eve with my family and went back to Raleigh on Christmas Day for the remainder of the festivities. Notice that the presents wrap around the tree and then spill along the front of the sofa. I couldn't even get all of them in the photo. And, this is even before everyone arrived and put theirs under the tree!

Srsly. We haz vury big famlee. I can haz longur fierplayce mantle plz?

And this is the only photo we got this year of the kids opening presents. With Katie, Anna and now Liam in the mix, you could say it got a little crazy. There was paper and ribbons flying all over the place. Anna did enjoy the Hungry Hungry Hippo game we got her though. She said to me, "Thank you so much for bringing this to me. I've been waiting for it such a long time." (Never mind the fact that she'd never even heard of it till now. She always knows the perfect thing to say when she opens presents.)

In fact, it got so crazy that we decided to wait till the next morning to do our Secret Santa exchange and the gifts with Jason's parents. There is a long history that would explain why the photo below is so funny (other than the obvious reason, of course) but for your sake, I'll condense it.

Way back when Jason and I were in college, he worked in the men's Ralph Lauren department at Belk. Come January, Belk would always have the most insane sales and when you added the employee discount, it got even more ridiculous. Jason's mom, being...well...a mom, asked him to pick up a ton of shirts and sweaters that she could throw in her gift closet stockpile. He brought back at least one garbage-bag-sized haul (and maybe more). So the guys in the family have been getting Polo, Hilfiger, Nautica and Perry Ellis shirts every year since then. Keep in mind that was at least 10-12 years ago. It's become quite the running joke.

But we've finally come to the end of the Belk Bag. And Marie saved the best for last. The lumberjack collection. Notice, if you will, Joe's jeans hiked up around his armpits and Jason's catalog pose. I think Ryan's still wondering how he got mixed up with this family.

A little more holiday wrap-up to come and then I'll be back with the story of how I became a casualty of Belgian bureaucracy and a prisoner in a foreign land.

4 comments:

Ryan and Jenny said...

My favorite part about that picture of our husbands is the fact that my Mom thought it was so funny to give them those shirts. I know where we got our sense of humor!

Heather said...

OMG, you're right! your profile pic is totally upside down! I never noticed...

Amy said...

Joe intends to wear that shirt every year at Christmas.

Heather said...

So does Jason.