Monday, January 04, 2010

Mea culpa

I think everyone is kind of in a weird fog today, the first day back to the real world after the holiday hiatus. I know I've basically let everything go for the past two weeks. Shunning my to-do list and relishing in all the wonderful downtime spent with Jason and fam.

So, whilst I get my proverbial shit together over here, I'll leave you with my first post of the new year and decade. An apology. To Taylor Swift.

One of my very best qualities is that no matter what, when I'm wrong about something, I'll admit it.

Last February, I wrote a post about music. And in that post, I kind of railed on The Swift a little bit. In retrospect, I was a bit harsh. Quite honestly, I now like her music. Every time I'm in the car singing along to You Belong With Me, I feel a little guilty about what I wrote. I think she's talented and probably one of the most down to earth celebrities in the game. Every interview and article I read makes me like her even more.

She writes her own music and lyrics and so-freaking-what if they sometimes sound like diary entries. She's a young girl. That's what she's supposed to sound like. It's sweet. And a lot better than singing about wanting to take a ride on somebody's disco stick.

She handled Kanye's douchebaggery with the poise of royalty and that kicked up my respect level another notch. I think she's a great role model for girls and by God, girls today need nothing more than a beautiful, smart, hard-working and talented person to look up to.

So, there it is. Mea culpa. I was wrong. Swift, I wish you nothing but a lifetime of continued success.

Also, GaGa? You have officially hooked me on your sweet beats. I can't stop moving when I hear Bad Romance. I can't stop singing when I hear Paparazzi. But I still hate that stupid Disco Stick song. Other than that, we're cool now.

11 comments:

Tonya & Michael said...

I'm feeling you... I was also a hater just because her songs brought back ugly memories of my pining away over the QB of my Junior High football team, without ever so much as a wave in the hallways - but that's another issue entirely.

She is a pretty classy teenager, and dammit you can't help but sing along to that line "she's cheer captain and I'm on the bleachers..."
HAHAHAHA!

Alice said...

Amen! On both counts...

Monique said...

I totally agree - Swift bugged me at first - but her songs are totally growing on me. And Gaga? Totally addicting - I bought Murray the double cd set for Christmas and now we both seem to constantly have her songs in our heads!!!!

Aisby said...

Taylor Swift is definitely overplayed and I was appalled by her performance last summer with Def Lepard (I was forced to watch the CMTs by a friend). However, her tunes are awfully catchy. I sing "Fearless" at the top of my lungs.

Suze - Cheshire, UK said...

Gaga? Really?? Oh no!! I'm bugged that everyone thinks she's so original. Snood-wearing-Kylie/Madonna-copying-waste-of-good-airwaves trash. I'm going to stuff my ears with wine gums until it's all over. Come to Manchester and see Dave Matthews Band with us.

Heather said...

I never said GaGa was original. In fact, in my original post I mentioned that she *wasn't*.

That doesn't mean the music isn't good though.

MrsBlueberry said...

I heart Taylor Swift. I think she is just so talented and seems very grounded even after the year she just had.

Lady Gaga on the other hand...I don't want to like her music, but I am with you on her newest song. I catch myself cranking it up in the car all the time!

Caitlin said...

Heather - this has to stop. Just last week my sister and I were discussing Taylor Swift and how we didn't like her initially but now love her and how sweet, personable, and gracious she is and how we can't get "Fifteen" out of our heads and...are you my long lost sister?!

Heather said...

Caitlin - maybe I am!! I've always thought I was meant to have funny, beautiful and all-around-fabulous sisters!

Maybe I should spend next Christmas with your family just to see?

peachesandcurry said...

Well I really need to be careful and not listen to Swift then, since GaGa's songs get stuck in my head...
-Shaloot

Caitlin said...

Yes, we would love a sister with a real Southern accent! Come on up next year!