Monday, February 15, 2010

The key to my heart

I've got a veritable treasure-trove of adventures to share but I really really must talk about my birthday first. Because it was amazing. Epic, actually.

First off, Jason had taken the liberty of booking us into what is definitely the coolest hotel I've ever stayed in. Basically, take a W hotel and multiply it by about a thousand and that's the Kameha Grand. It contains a spa, a few restaurants and a handful of cocktail bars. You. Never. Have. To. Leave. EVER. Let's start with a little tour...

The hallways

Our room

Our wall-o-window view of the Rhine river

Lunch in the lobby cafe

The touch screen fish tank (If you touch one of the fish, it wriggles around and swims away and the water makes rings on the surface and splashing noises.)

In the center of the building, the outdoor potted trees in the snow

And my favorite place, the Pure Gold lounge... They had these amazing tables that were rectangle cases and inside the glass were hundreds of all sizes of diamond shaped Swarovski crystals, which is what's sparkling under the candle.

We went here for a drink after we arrived on Friday evening and the bar manager asked us if we were at the hotel for Valentines Day. Jason said sort of but that really it was for my birthday on Saturday...so at midnight, he sent over two glasses of their best champagne and a crazy sparkler thingie in celebration!! So fun!

And speaking of my birthday...this is what I woke up to on Saturday morning. I have oft dreamed of being in a fluffy white hotel bed, surrounded by Tiffany packaging. And now, that dream has come true.

Jason brings out one box and my heart stops because I had a feeling it was the replacement of the gold Peretti bean that fell off my neck back in October. Jason had been telling me that the saleslady called to say it had come in and for me to go get it. But I just couldn't. This is not an inexpensive necklace and I just felt awful that I'd been so careless with the other one so I couldn't bring myself to go buy it. I told Jason just to wait for a holiday and get it for me then. So I was beside myself when I opened this. I kept singing "Reunited and it feeeeels so gooood."

So Jason sits there on the bed with me while I start to choke up and gush about how crushed I was when I realized I had lost the first one and how I was so beyond all measure of happy to have it again. And when I regain composure, he says "Well, hold on. There's something else." I was all "Huh?".

And he brings out a second box and and inside is a gorgeous hardcover book on the history of Tiffany and of famous diamonds from around the world. He said that Marie-Noelle, our saleslady, said to tell me happy birthday and that she wanted me to have the book as a gift. I start flipping though it and, people, this is an expensive book. So I said, "I don't get it. Why did she just give you this? It's really nice."

And Jason said, "Well, when someone comes in and buys two pieces of jewelry, I guess that entitles him to a freebie." STOP. THE. PRESSES. I said something like "WHAT?!? You lie."

But he comes out with the third box and at this point I almost choke on my own tongue. Inside is a beautiful white gold and diamond Tiffany key. I have been obsessed with the keys since they came out a few months ago and had just bought myself a small silver one in London. I kept joking to Jason about how I just loved the way two keys together looked *wink wink*. Well, the joke's on me.

I've said it many times before and I'll keep saying it till the day I die. I really do have the best husband ever.

After a morning at the spa, we decided to go for a walk along the riverside. This was the only time we left the hotel the entire weekend. Seriously.

The snow was really pretty and on our way back to the hotel, it started to snow again.

And it snowed all night long and well into the next day. We woke up to this:

So, what to do? How about call and ask for a late checkout. We spent the morning lounging in our jammies, drinking coffee and watching the Olympics (and the early afternoon afternoon back at the spa).

Finally, we said goodbye. It was the most relaxing weekend we've ever had. It was so relaxing that both of us felt like it had been a long weekend when we got back home.

Jason, I don't know what I did to deserve the love of someone as thoughtful and kind as you. You are truly one of a kind and Tiffany or no Tiffany, posh hotels or no posh hotels, I am the luckiest girl in the whole wide world.

(But could you please stop leaving your damp bath towel on my favorite blanket? Kthxbai!)

7 comments:

Beth said...

Jason rocks!

andrea said...

I agree with Beth, he did good!

Alice said...

What a wonderful birthday/Valentine's Day! I would say I'm surprised...but I read your blog - I was pretty sure he'd do good.

Happy, happy birthday!

Suze - Cheshire, UK said...

That's it. This weekend, I'm going to send you back home with my husband (I'll dress him in the same Jason way if that helps). But I'm keeping Jason. I want some Tiffany toooooo! Waaaaahhhh!!

MrsBlueberry said...

Glad to hear you had such a great birthday weekend Heather!

geo said...

Kuddos to Jason! What a lovely birthday indeed. You must tell me about those German massages... LOL

The hotel does look super-duper cool. Thanks for sharing all of those pictures and your wonderful adventures!

Caitlin said...

That Jason keeps showing up husbands around the world! Glad you had a nice birthday - and I love the bean. One of my most favorite pieces of jewelry! I also lost another piece of Tiffany jewelry...our lives are spookily (is that a word? I like it) similar!