Thursday, April 22, 2010

Quirky Brussels

For all the grace and beauty of the Grand Place and the Art Nouveau architectural gems scattered around the city, Brussels definitely has a lighter side. I went through my photos and rounded up a few of my favorite examples.

Brussels is known for comics and you'll find them al fresco all over the city. This one is next door to our building, at Platesteen cafe. Since we live in the heart of what's known to be the gay district (surrounded by bars with names like Boys Boudoir and Homo-Erectus), for the longest time we assumed it was two guys. But after a closer inspection, I think the dark-haired one is actually meant to be a girl. I'm basing this on a few things. One, accessories: the shoes and the earring. And B, curves: the slight one in the chest area and the more pronounced one in the rear area. Quite honestly, I liked it better when I thought it was two guys.

I noticed a trail of these smiley faces on the sidewalk one day and I was dying to follow them to see where they led. Alas, I had to get to the drycleaner before it closed and didn't have the time. It will forever remain a mystery. But I like to imagine that at the end of the trail, there was a huge party with unicorns and pixies and free ice cream.

A mannequin outside a hipster clothing shop on Rue l'Hopital. RAWR.

The famous Manneken Pis... The only statue I know who has more outfits than me. Here are just two examples of his finery.


The less famous, but equally quirky, Jeanneke Pis. She's located at the end of an alley by Delirium Cafe. Sadly, she has no outfits.

And if you just can't get enough of urinating statues, why not check out Zinneke Pis. (Zinneke roughly translates to mongrel.) I haven't done the research but I figure you'd be hard-pressed to find another city with a statue of a dog eternally peeing on a sidewalk marker.

Then of course, there's this beauty. A lovely monument to road construction. Though it's certainly an eyesore, it's not entirely inappropriate since the neighboring street has been ripped up the whole time I've been here.

Umm, I have no words for this. Make up your own commentary.

Ok, clearly this is not intentionally cheeky...but...omg you guys, it's Cafe Doudou! (Sorry. The 3rd grader in me could not let this one go.)

And my personal favorite, this painting in the window of an art gallery in Sablon. So many questions. Did the cat actually catch that fish? Or did he nick it from a fisherman down at the docks? Is that why he looks so happy? Because he outsmarted a grizzly old fisherman? Does Brussels even have "docks"? Where did he get that awesome hat? Is it his? Or did he nick that too? Either way, WANT!

Seriously. WANT.

1 comment:

geo said...

I love the picture of Manneken Pis wearing an Ecuadorian "diablo huma" outfit!