Monday, May 10, 2010

Hurricane season is over

I know this isn't the most timely of posts since we're already about midway through the NHL playoffs at this point. But, you'll have to forgive me since I was pretty much single handedly unpacking our lives for the first half of April, which is when these events were taking place. So I'm slowly but surely catching up here. But, enough with the disclaimers. Onward.

Anyone who reads this blog with any regularity whatsoever will know that I have whinged about twelvity million times about missing almost all of hockey season in Raleigh. So when I found out we would be returning home just in time to catch the last two home games of the season, well, I was elated to say the least.

Our first game was a major bust. MAJOR. We went in with high expectations since we were playing the Devils. We match up pretty well with them and it's usually a great game to watch. Usually. Not this time. The 'Canes came out lazy and it was probably the worst I've ever seen them play. It was miserable. 4-0. I had a sad.

(Jason evidently had a happy. I told him to look sad for the photo but he kept smiling. Because he loves driving me crazy.)

But things were soon looking up. On the day of the last home game, there was a Caniac Cookout at lunch. And there were rumors flying that Raleigh was going to host the 2011 NHL All-Star game. So when we heard that there would be a press conference for a "very exciting announcement" at the cookout and that the NHL commissioner was in town for it, we knew it was happening. The turn out was crazy considering it was in the middle of the work day.

It's official!! Very exciting news for us hockey-crazed southerners. (Yes, we do exist. Lots of us. Contrary to what some fans from "traditional" markets think about hockey below the mason-dixon line...)

Can you tell it was hat giveaway night? Considering we were officially out of the playoff race and it was therefore a technically meaningless game, I think the sell-out crowd was pretty impressive.

The crowd was not only large in size, but large in voice as well. The atmosphere in the arena was very much like a playoff game. It was a really nice way to end the season. Of course, it helped that they gave us something to cheer about. We rolled right over Montreal. Not to mention our captain, Eric Staal tallied up a hat trick! A hat trick! On HAT GIVEAWAY NIGHT! How perfect is that?? The crowd went particularly nuts over that one. Jason threw his but I kept mine because I knew it would only land approximately three rows down. And I had big plans for mine.

Elwin was not excited about my big plans on hat giveaway night.

Seriously, look at that face. NOT HAPPY.

"Ai hate Hurrycaynze. Dis iz y ai frow up n ur fancee shoos. Bish."

We had one more away game a couple days later and word got out that lots of fans were going to the airport to welcome them home. This is a tradition 'Canes fans have had since the year we won the Stanley Cup but usually do it only during the playoffs. (Dead serious. People go to the airport at like 2:00 in the morning.)


Chad LaRose does a drive-by wave.

And we have another reason to be excited 'round these parts... The Hurricanes were one of six teams picked to open the next season in Europe. I loved it when this popped up on the video board at the end of the last home game:

Yes, we're going. Did you ever doubt it for even a second? And if that weren't enough, Phuze are meeting us over there for some debauchery. My head might explode. How much do I love it that my air travel confirmation says RDU to HEL? So as Suze and I have grown fond of saying in all our emails over the past several weeks...See you in HEL!

4 comments:

hisgirlcridey said...

I absolutely love your blog! I found it last week and I am a fan. I'm from NC and I absolutely loooove London, so I can totally relate! I look forward to many more posts and catching up!

Vegemite Wife said...

Yeah bi-atch! See you in HEL! Hahahaha. Never gets old.

Meg said...

Wow, Heather! I had no doubt that you would find a way to go to the game in Finland. Canes fan, tried and true! I can't wait to see that post and read all about your fun time with Phuze! Y'all are some wild and crazy kids :D

Heather said...

Thanks hisgirlcridey! Always nice to know there are people still out there reading this crap :)