Monday, May 24, 2010

The Precious

I'm now in the middle of my two week travel adventure (which I will discuss in great detail very soon). If you consult your handy guide below, you 'll see that means I'm in Philadelphia.

I did several loads of laundry and packed in a haze yesterday after we got back from Charlotte. We woke up Very Early this morning for a 7:15 flight. I was sort of going through the motions on the way out the door. Wallet...check. ID...check. I was quietly eating my granola bar in the passenger seat of the car. And then I was gripped by pure terror.

As we were approaching the airport exit on the highway, my hands flew up to my face and I yelled "Oh my God!!!!! My iPhooooooooooone!!!!!" To put it mildly, I freaked the eff out. A string of expletives tumbled from my mouth. Jason tried to calm me down and told me there was an iota of a chance that he had picked up my phone and put it in his work bag. Yeah, right. Fat chance. So I quickly started thinking about solutions. I had decided I would call the apartment office, ask them to go in and retrieve The Precious and Fed-Ex it to me at our hotel in Philly. Overnight. Sooner if possible. DO IT NOW PLEASE.

And then...

Wonder of wonders, miracle of miracles. We parked and Jason went to the back to get our luggage. I hear a "pssst" and when I turn in his direction, he's holding up two iPhones. Saying nothing, I just run to him and throw my arms around his neck. My hero! My knight in shining armor! And, finally, the panic in me subsides and I feel whole again.

As we're walking to the terminal I say "I think maybe I have a slight over-dependance on technology."

You can file that under N for "NO SHIZ".

I'm ready for my Under Statement of the Year award now. Thanks.

5 comments:

Ginger said...

Heather, my 14 year-old son and I were going to LA on March 31st to see Paul McCartney at the Hollywood Bowl. On the way to the airport in Atlanta, he asked a random question about the HB and my mind retraced its steps to discover I had left the tickets (for the concert THAT NIGHT...IN LA!) in my oversized wallet at home. MORNING RUSH HOUR TRAFFIC! We immediately turned back toward home, called my 19 year-old son, had him grab the tickets (did I mention that the concert was THAT NIGHT? and that they were SIXTH ROW THAT I PAID A FORTUNE FOR?) and race down the interstate to meet us.

*switch to birds singing and everybody's happy font*

We got the tickets, made it to the airport in time (just before boarding, but thank God for first class tickets so we bypass the long line at TSA) and had a GREAT time enjoying Paul McCartney as the sun set on a beautiful evening.

That kind of panic - no matter the outcome - isn't funny.

peachesandcurry said...

Well at least you're not dependent on your GPS for your daily commute between home and work... like some coworkers I know.

Jason should get you a iphone trophy for your award!

Vegemite Wife said...

I think you can justifiably change your name to iHeather now.

Beth N said...

Just catching up on your posts. I'm loving the irony of this one.

Heather said...

B - in that case, you'll really get a kick out of the next one .