Sunday, May 16, 2010

Simple

I am about to embark on a two-week epic adventure. And, as is the way with most travel in my life, it kind of...just...sort of...happened.

It started innocently enough a couple of months ago when I decided to take Katie to see Wicked for her birthday. I bought us a couple of Thursday matinee tickets for the show in Charlotte and made plans with Amy to pick Katie up from school a little early. I would spend the night in Charlotte and head back to Raleigh. Simple.

Then we realized this was the Thursday prior to the weekend of Katie and Anna's dance recitals. Okay. No problem. No point in driving all the way back to Raleigh only to turn around and drive right back to Charlotte the next day. I'll stay and Jason can ride to Charlotte with his mom or sister so we'll only have one car there. Drive back together on Sunday. Simple.

Then, one day I get to emailing with Beth M. Before I knew it, we made plans for me to come see her while she was in the States for a month of visiting her family. The best time for her turned out to be the days prior to my trip to Charlotte. This worked well for me too since Jason had since planned a two-week business trip to Brussels and London and I would be ready for a distraction from living alone. So, the plan was set.

Over the course of exactly one week, I would drive about 3.5 hours from Raleigh to Williamsburg and then about 5.5 hours from Williamsburg to Charlotte then about 3 hours (with Jason) from Charlotte back to Raleigh. Simple.

And now, let's go back in time slightly. My other Beth, Beth N., and I have had a date planned since 2008. That May, I visited Beth all the way from London so we could go see the Sex and the City movie in New York the day it was released. We agreed right then and there, that no matter what, we would meet in NYC again if there was a second movie. So, we've been discussing these plans very abstractly in the past few months.

Then about a week ago, Jason mentioned that he had to make yet another business trip RIGHT AFTER HIS TWO-WEEK TRIP TO EUROPE. (Cut to me losing my mind and yelling something about "This SUCKS! I HATE your job! HATE it! This is no way to LIVE!") After I calmed down Jason let me know that this one was only to Philadelphia and why didn't I join him? "Well, okay. I guess that would be fine." (I don't give up my sulking easily.) Then, the dates started to come together in my head and I realized this was the week prior to the SATC2 release. I felt a plan coming together.

So, Jason and I will drive back from Charlotte on Sunday and then turn around and fly to Philly on Monday morning. On Thursday Jason will fly back to Raleigh and I'll take a train from Philly to Connecticut, where Beth will pick me up and take me to their house. On Saturday, we will train into NYC to hang out, see the movie and spend the night in a lovely hotel. On Sunday, we will train back to Connecticut and spend the next few days enjoying each other's company. On Tuesday, I will fly back to Raleigh. Simple.

Let's recap:

Sunday - Raleigh to Williamsburg
Wednesday - Williamsburg to Charlotte
Sunday - Charlotte to Raleigh
Monday - Raleigh to Philadelphia
Thursday - Philadelphia to Connecticut
Saturday - Connecticut to New York
Sunday - New York to Connecticut
Tuesday - Connecticut to Raleigh

Simple.

5 comments:

Beth said...

I like the way you operate!

geo said...

Fantastic! You get to meet Aidan! Please, please, send my regards to the N's. Let the fun times begin!

Vegemite Wife said...

Oh god! Why are you in NYC the weekend before when I'm in town, then the planets would truly have aligned!

Alice said...

Fun!

peachesandcurry said...

planes, trains and automobiles!