Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Bacon and the City was I? Let's see... That would be Raleigh to Williamsburg, Williamsburg to Charlotte, Charlotte to Raleigh and Raleigh to Philadelphia. Let me check...

Yes, that certainly appears to be Philadelphia.

I had a grand ol' time in Philly. I lunched with a friend, Liz, and her two preshus littles. I sipped coffee in the executive lounge. I surfed the internet by the fountain in the hotel lobby. I window shopped. I got my nails did. Jason and I ate delicious Asian food and had fancee cocktails at Buddakan. And we went to a local bar and watched the Flyers beat the Canadiens to advance to the Stanley Cup Finals, surrounded by A LOT of people wearing orange. (Then, hilariously enough, we ran into a guy in the bar at the hotel wearing a Hurricanes hat. This one - modeled previously by Elwin Kitteh. I was all "Holler Raleigh! High five! Let's go 'Canes! Whoop whoop!") Then, it was time to move on.

So, on the morning of Thursday the 27th of May I had a taxi drop me off here. Now if you didn't know better, would you not think that perhaps this was a museum? Or possibly a library? Or maybe a grand old government building of some sort? I would. But I'd be wrong.

Because this lovely building is merely a humble train station. That's one thing I love about the northeast. Most of the major cities have a beautiful train station. Philadelphia is no exception.

A few hours later and I was being picked up in Connecticut and taken for lunch and an iced coffee and finally to my home for the next few days. Candy took up residence in my room (actually, I think it would be more accurate to say that I took up residence in her room) for the duration of the stay. At first I thought she was just being sweet but the way she kept her eyes on my every move makes me think she was planted there by the innkeepers to make sure I didn't steal anything.

On Saturday, Rino made sure we were well fed for our journey and rustled up some McChiefs (read all about the War of the Breakfast Sandwiches here) and then we took off for our big adventure, arriving at one of the most famous train stations in the world.

And, dare I say, the most beautiful...

A few subway changes later and we were finally at our hotel, The Maritime. A very hip little place indeed. When we checked in the girl asked us if we wanted a smoking or non-smoking room, to which I replied "I didn't even know smoking rooms still existed." And she said "Well, we keep them because they're rather popular with the fashion people who stay here." Fashion people, you say! Well, la-tee-dah!

In case the name didn't tip you off, it's a sort of 1920's-ish cruise ship themed place. We even had our very own porthole!

(Let me take this opportunity to tell you that I had a few pictures of our room on my iPhone but I can't share those with you unless the wanker that JACKED it decides to email them to me and I think the chances of that happening are about as good as me going for a nice long jog this afternoon when the thermometer hits 98 degrees. But trust me, the whole room looked like it was plucked right off an art deco ocean liner and dropped into the Meatpacking District.)

With bags dropped off and makeup refreshed, we two gals hit the town. We didn't make it very far though since attached to The Maritime was a super cute little cafe serving brunch. So we fortified ourselves with bacon and bellinis. (Considering this place is popular with the fashion set, I wonder if they knew what to do with someone who ordered bacon.)

Next up was the main event, the reason for the season, the meat in the sandwich of this trip, the sequel girls around the world have waited for...

(We agreed in our reviews: we liked the first one better but it was still fun to reconnect with the characters.)

And later, it was ladies night...oh what a night. We eased up this time around though and set a few ground rules. 1 - Drink a glass of water between every cocktail. 2 - NO COSMOPOLITANS OR ANYTHING SERVED IN A MARTINI GLASS FOR THAT MATTER.

We both realized we had a hankerin' for Mexican food and we lucked upon a very good place in the Meatpacking District. We started with chips and a trio of salsas: mild, medium and death. But the thing about the salsa of death is that it was so tasty that we couldn't stop eating it. We tried all sorts of techniques to lessen the fire. Beth came up with a pretty good one - chew it only on one side of your mouth so that you contain the burn somewhat. Yet, she still feared every bite.

After dinner, we decided to try our hand at getting into a very exclusive club. The Gansevoort hotel had a massive queue and a surly, clipboard-wielding doorman. Plus, we really wanted to see the view from the rooftop bar. Why not? We got in line. And waited. And stood there shifting from foot to foot to try and alleviate the pain of 4-inch heels. And tried to look like we didn't care if we got in or not. And lo and behold if surly clipboard man didn't pull us out of line and whisk us inside. We were IN! The music? Was obnoxious and way too loud. The crowd? Was trying way to hard. The vodka tonics? Were astronomical. And the view? Outstanding.

After knocking back a couple of outrageously priced cocktails, we decided to quit while we were ahead and make our way back to the hotel. Where we raided the mini-bar and found some most interesting items for sale. Just what kind of place have you brought me to, Beth?!? (Suffice it to say we giggled and squealed like fourth graders at this discovery...and a few others. Yes, there was a finding far more risque than this one. I'll let you speculate amongst yourselves.)

And wow. What a difference a couple of years makes. This time around we woke up with clean faces free of the previous night's makeup, in proper pajamas instead of our party clothes, without headaches and actually able to face the day.

At the top of the list was a stroll through Central Park. Because as many times as I had been to NYC, I had never once walked through here.

And a ride on the merry-go-round was most definitely in order. Because we're seven years old.

A few more NYC landmarks...

And our trip was complete. We slumped into our seat on the train and dozed our way back to Connecticut.

The rest of it was all pretty tame. Until the fateful day when I was relieved of my iPhone. What kind of degenerate attends a small-town Memorial Day parade and jacks someone's iPhone??? We don't have any real leads but I'm hearing reports that a human with an Elmo head was seen running away from the scene of the crime, pushing a stroller. I think I know where this guy lives.

P.S. I would love to show you a precious photo of Beth and little Aidan having lunch al fresco at a wonderful Jewish deli in Westport (swear to the Lord, most amazing pastrami on rye evah) but I don't have it because...I don't know if you've heard, but...MY iPHONE WAS JACKED.


Beth said...

I so want to do New York with you one day!

Vegemite Wife said...

And to think I was in the same city onlys days before you! Oh what a cruel twist of fate!! AND I still haven't even seen the first SATC movie!

Monique said...

Sorry to hear about your iphone:( But it looks like SUCH a fun trip!!

Anna said...

Glad you had a good time in New York—I dogsat for my boss a few weeks ago and had a fantastic time pretending I lived in the West Village. It's a pretty rad neighborhood.

geo said...

What a wonderful trip! (except for the part when the phone gets stolen). Is this going to become a yearly tradition regardless SATC movie releases? That would be awesome.
You and Beth look gorgeous. I bet Aidan was happy to have met his famous aunt Heather. I want to meet Aidan too!