Tuesday, June 29, 2010

I want you to want me

Due to our affinity for dropping everything on a whim and moving to far away lands, I currently find myself having been out of the workforce for about five years. When we moved to London we thought, "What a great opportunity to take a sabbatical of sorts and use my free time to volunteer and take classes and accompany Jason on work trips." So I did, and it was fantastic. What a novelty! Look at me, all late-twenties with no kids and not having to work!

Then we moved back to Raleigh and suddenly, the whole "not working" schtick wasn't so cute anymore. So I half-heartedly looked for jobs. But two things were in the back of my mind the whole time. 1) This is so not the best time to be looking for work. The economy is in tatters. And 2) As much as I was so excited to get back home to Raleigh, I kind of feel trapped in suburbia now. Reverse culture shock. In short, I realized I wasn't so sure I was ready to settle back down here.

We both felt restless. Like we hadn't quite gotten our fill of European travel and the joys of having one of the world's greatest cities at our fingertips. There was a general feeling that this was just a break between adventures. And I didn't want to start a new job knowing there was every chance I wouldn't be there very long so I aborted the job search completely. We tossed ideas around. Back to Europe? Something different this time? Asia? We knew it wasn't 100% our choice. It came down to what opportunities were available to Jason.

We all know by now that the opportunity turned out to be Europe again. Belgium. Brussels. It was perfect, we thought. Three months. Just enough time to immerse ourselves in European culture and travel again. We'll get another little taste and then be ready to settle back in Raleigh properly. We all know by now that three months turned into seven months. And as much as we enjoyed this gift to the fullest and made the absolute most of our time there, we were really ready to get back home.

And now that we're here, guess what. We've realized that we are really truly ready to stay this time. We're happy. Settled. Comfortable.

And I really want to work. In fact, through my own networking, I found an opportunity in my dream industry, with my dream organization. Plus, it's a job I know I can do. And I mean do well. Very well. I've never wanted a job the way I want this one. I feel like jumping up and down, waving my arms around and pleading "Pick me! Over here! I'm the best! Pick me! Pick me!"

See, I know that no one else would be as proud to work for this organization as me. I know that no one else would work harder than me. I know that no one else could do this job as well as me. I know that no one else is a more perfect fit for this job than me. I just want them to know it.

12 comments:

The Tune's said...

Heather best of luck with the job hunting and I hope that this organization does pick you!

MrsBlueberry said...

Good luck Heather! I hope you get the job. Don't be afraid to go to the hiring manager's office and jump up and down for it. Sometimes it takes a grand gesture to stand out in the jobhunting crowd!

bethmorrissey said...

Fingers firmly crossed for you!!

Vegemite Wife said...

MrsBlueberry is right. I think you should even consider turning up with your face painted in the organization's colours. Screw it - show them REAL commitment and tattoo your face. God, some of the best ideas just present themselves!
Seriously though, I'm convinced you're the right person for the role. Maybe even offer them a month trial for FREE if it's your ideal role so they can get to love you as much as we all do.

andrea said...

I hope you get it, they would be lucky to have you!

Jessi said...

Good Luck! Hope it works out for you!

Sara said...

Sounds exciting! Good luck!!

Monique said...

How exciting - GOOD LUCK!!!!! ditto Beth - I will be crossing my fingers for you:)

Alice said...

Good luck! I can't wait to read about your new job. :)

Heather said...

Thanks for the well wishes everyone!

But, I have to say now that if I get this (or any other) job, I won't be writing about it here (or anywhere). I've read enough blogger memoirs to know that nothing good can come of it :)

Tola said...

we want the best for you. and if that means we stay in the dark about your job, then okay. you have plenty of stuff to blog about without it!

Caitlin said...

Good luck!!! I know how it feels to really want a certain job...I hope it is yours!