Monday, June 14, 2010

iHeather

So...The Thing. I promised to tell you about The Thing. But the thing about The Thing is that it's a pretty BFD in Heatherland...but to nonreidents of Heatherland...decidedly less so. Yet, I tell you anyway.

Let me start with an open letter to Alanis Morissette:

Dear Alanis,

First of all, let me just say thanks for Jagged Little Pill. That album rocked my world and came out at the perfect time in my life - the summer between my senior year of high school and my freshman year of college. I was a hot mess in the latter half of 1995 (and, if I'm honest, most of 1996 as well) and had it not been for Jagged Little Pill, I would have had to put on my big girl panties and deal with it. As it were, I felt completely justified laying around, first in my childhood bedroom and later in my dormroom, and listening to your angst-filled music. So truly, I thank you for that and I'll never forget you for it.

But now that's out of the way, I would like to point out (as many before me have done) that rain on one's wedding day is not irony. Neither is a traffic jam when you're already late. Nor is a black fly in your chardonnay. All those things suck, for sure. But, ironic they are not. Let me tell you what's ironic.

Isn't it ironic...don't you think...a little too ironic... when you write a big long dramatic blog post about how, en route to the airport for a week-long trip, you thought you forgot your iPhone and totally freaked the eff out and when it miraculously turned up in your husband's briefcase you were so happy you almost cried except you decided to laugh nervously and make a joke about being too dependent on technology and then it turns out that on the last day of your trip your iPhone gets STOLEN.

That, Alanis, is irony.

Yours always,
Heather

And here I am. iPhoneless. Without iPhone. In other words: utterly lost. Yes I know I lived without it for about 31.5 years of my life but once you've experienced the iPhone, nothing else is the same. You know what they say. Once you go Mac, you never go back.

Thanks to Beth's husband Rino, I have a phone. He loaned me an old one and took me to AT&T to get a sim card for it so I got to keep my number and everything. But my iPhone was so much more than a phone. My life was in that phone. The address book, the calendar, the photos, the music... Luckily, I had just synced while I was in Philly so my music, address book and calendar were all on my PowerBook. (For some reason, I stupidly decided to not sync my photos so they're gone.)

Once I got home, Jason and I discussed what to do. Replacing the iPhone right away just wasn't an option because to get one at a remotely reasonable price I would have to use my upgrade with AT&T. And if I use my upgrade now, I'll have to pay full price for the iPhone 4 when it comes out in a few weeks. (We were already planning on upgrading to the new iPhone, before this happened.) Considering full price will be $599, versus $199 using the AT&T upgrade, I think it's worth it to just ride this out.

But what about the meantime? What will I do? No mobile access to my calendar! No mobile access to my mail! No mobile access to my address book! Quel horreur!

And cue the iPad. Otherwise known as The Precious v2.0.

We got on the waiting list at both area Apple stores and by the end of the week, we had the little beauty in our mitts. Thin! Shiny! Pretty! I love it! Hook that badboy up and sync it, Jason! Sync to your heart's content! Sync till you've nothing left to sync! Sync! Sync! Sync!

Several quiet minutes later: How's that sync coming along, Jason?!? I want to see my calendar on that thing! Show me the sync! Sync! Sync! Sync!

No answer.

Umm, Jason? Sync? Please? Please to have sync? Sync? Sync? Sync?

Sync?

No sync.

You see, we bought our PowerBook waaaaaay back in 2005. In tech years, that's the Paleolithic Era. In short, new and old are not compatible. iPad y PowerBook no es amigos.

What to do?

The way we see it, we have two options:
1. Return the The Precious v2.0 and just deal with it.
2. Get a new laptop.

That's a trick. Because the first one really wasn't an option. Because I was already in luuurrrrve with the The Precious v2.0. There was no way I was taking it back. You just try and pry it out of my cold, dead, kung-fu grip. I dare you.

So, by process of elimination... Hellllllloooooooo MacBook Pro! Now, before you get all "These people are nuts! Who goes around buying expensive new toys when one expensive toy has been stolen and yet to be replaced????", let it be known that we had every intention of upgrading our Mac in August of this year. So this merely pushed up our plans by a few months.

I am almost whole again. Some retail therapy goes a long way towards the healing. Come June 24, all shall be right with the world.

Next up, the Epic Adventure continues...

P.S. Thank you Suze for inspiring the title of this one. I initially had a slightly less PG one in mind...

10 comments:

Rino said...

The blogging community tells me that in the minutes you lost your Iphone, a human with an Elmo head was seen running in the B,B&B parking lot...

Heather said...

Yes, we're looking closely at security tapes as we believe this person to be a prime suspect.

The Tune's said...

ipad!!!!!! I am sure that little baby will a well traveled computer!

I am in envy of the i4! I wish I would have waited a little while to get the new one.

Vegemite Wife said...

We've caved to the wanton charms of the iPad too. iHate myself a little for it's unnecessary loveliness, and infatuated with it at the same time.
And you're welcome for the title. iCharge you for it later.

Ginger said...

I L-O-V-E my iPad. But I feel like I'm cheating on my iPhone.

I handle guilt really well.

Beth N said...

iDontThinkItTurnedOutTooBadlyAfterAll

Melissa said...

Oh, I LOVE my ipad!!! I couldn't have made it through our little New Orleans getaway this weekend without it! Gus and I sat there and played scrabble on it after the kids went to bed. lol

Heather said...

It's so nice to have the support of my fellow iWhores :)

geo said...

How horrible to have your phone stolen! I'm sorry for what you had been through. I didn't think phones where stolen in the US. Where were you???

I'm glad you end up with new technology in the end!

bethmorrissey said...

I love Sanger solutions.