Thursday, October 14, 2010

Happy Hockeyday to You

Jason's birthday came on the eve of our departure to Finland but even though we agreed this trip was his birthday present (And our anniversary present, our Christmas present, my birthday present and maybe even his birthday present next year. Seriously. Not a cheap trip. Jason's retirement may have been set back a few years.) I was determined to make sure his day was still special.

And what's special-er than a birthday cupcake from The Cupcake Shoppe?? This was supposed to be personalized but they told me they couldn't make any message discs that day because the humidity was so high and the fondant wouldn't set! So they had to use one of the premade ones. Thanks North Carolina weather!

Soon we were off to the RBC center to tailgate for the Hurricanes' 1:30 Helsinki send-off game against the Thrashers. It was an absolutely picture perfect fall morning and we had a pretty sweet set up. Though Jason and I realized the blue cooler sticks out like a sore thumb. We need a red one, clearly.

We even got our fifteen minutes of fame on WRAL's website!

{Photo taken by Craig James and used courtesy of WRAL.com}

The yuppiest tailgate of all time. Some might argue that artisanal olive oil has no place in a hockey arena parking lot but we disagree.

The birthday boy masters his new tailgating grill.

Jason's amazing chorizo sandwiches. The roasted red peppers and arugula on top of that spicy sausage will make you want to smack your mama.

With a little help from our season ticket rep, I arranged for Jason to be a Rider of the Game during the first period break. That's right. I'm the best wife EVER. I got my man a freaking zamboni ride for his birthday. And because the other rider backed out, they asked me if I wanted to ride the other one. I was all, "Heck to the yes!"

One of the coolest things about the zamboni experience was getting to watch the game from a particularly good vantage point with the staff while we waited.

The view was pretty awesome. Though I nearly peed my pants once when the puck smacked the glass right in front of us.

We also loved getting to go behind the scenes at the arena.

One thing you don't realize until you're up there is just how big those things are. We had to climb up ladders to get into the seats! I gave my seatbelt an extra tug to make sure I wasn't going to fly off that thing onto the ice.

And away we go!

Like a kid in a...ummm....in a....hmmmm....like a kid in a zamboni store? (That doesn't seem quite right but, frankly, I'm still recovering from jetlag and that's all I've got.)

And after the 'Canes overtime win, massages, dinner at one of Jason's favorite restaurants and drinks at one of his favorite bars his 35th was in the books. And as soon as I can make a dent in the mountain of laundry sitting in the hall, I'll get right on that whole Finland/Estonia post.

Seriously. MOUNTAIN.

1 comment:

The Tune's said...

AWESOME Zamboni experience!!!!!

You brought me back to the days when my brother and I were way younger and at the Devils games and we would sing the song

Well I went down to the local arena
Asked to see the manager man
He came from his office, said “Son can I help you?”
Looked at him and said “Yes you can”

Hey, I wanna drive the Zamboni
Hey, I wanna drive the Zamboni
Yes I do

Now e’er since I was young
It’s been my dream
That I might drive the Zamboni machine
Id get that Ice just slick as could be
And all the kids would look up to me

Hey, I wanna drive the Zamboni
Hey, I wanna drive the Zamboni
Yes I do

Now the manager said “Son, I know it looks keen,
But that right there’s one expensive machine
And I got Smokey who’s been driving for years”
About that time I broke down in tears

Cuz I wanna drive the Zamboni
Hey I wanna drive the Zamboni

Hey, I wanna drive the Zamboni
Hey, I wanna drive the Zamboni
Yes I do

Looks like you had a great time!