Thursday, August 11, 2011

Blame it on the Kindle

I've always been an avid reader. Thanks to my great-aunt Kate, I was a reading machine at a very early age. I love books and everything about them. I love a brand new book and the feel of cracking the spine. I love an old book and the yellowing pages. I love coming home and seeing an Amazon box sitting in front of my door. I love walking into a book store and seeing the endless shelves.

So I was very skeptical when the Kindle first hit the market. I couldn't imagine myself cosying up on the sofa on a rainy Sunday with a...device. "It's just not the saaaaaaaame", I whined dramatically. It acts like a book but it's just not a book. You know what they say. A cat can have kittens in the oven, but that don't make 'em biscuits.

But the more I traveled, lugging stacks of books with me, the better a precious little device sounded. And the longer we spent adjusting to life in a two bedroom apartment, with stacks of read books sitting in closet corners, the better a tiny little device sounded.

Soon, my love of a clutter-free environment started to take over and I was giving e-readers some thought. Then I was all, "Think of the adorable pink leather Kindle covers!" and that was it. SOLD.

And she arrived. With her adorable pink case (with a built-in book light!!!). It was love at first sight. And I've been a reading machine since. I can't read enough. If I have five minutes to myself, I whip out the Kindle. I've made some serious cutbacks on the amount of shitty tv I watch just to make more Kindle time. Sorry Toddlers & Tiaras, you're out. Take your sad, glittery, little "participant" sash and take off out of the Des Moines Comfort Inn event room 3. I've seen enough to know that the kids are little grand supreme (with extra pepperoni!!!) crazed monsters and the moms are delusional. In every episode. Project Runway, on the other hand...you're in. You can leave the runway.

And the reason for this whole post is to tell you that you can blame my Kindle (and a crap-ton of travel) for the lack of blogging lately. I'm determined to get back on the wagon though with at least one proper post before we take off yet again on another whirlwind adventure.

Because apparently, we just can't get enough of multiple-country back-to-back trips wherein we have less than 24 hours to make a re-packing turnaround.

4 comments:

The Tune's said...

I think you forgot to mention that you even had your first book for it within 5 minutes of opening the box up!

I take it you finished off Bossypants by now and probably a few others too? I just got bossypants but am finishing off The Help first.

Alice said...

I've been debating a Kindle, too. And have not caved for the same reasons you have. My husband has been trying to push it on me because he is TIRED of the endless stacks of books, too. Maybe you just made his case for him. :)

Veronica Mers said...

I was hesitant about the Kindle at first too, but I am 100% in lurve now. Please do share what you have been reading!

Heather said...

Ok, some of my choices are a little embarrassing. But summer is a time for fluffy, light reading, no? Here you go:

Bossypants by Tina Fey
The Carrie Diaries by Candace Bushnell
Summer and the City by Candace Bushnell
Gunn's Golden Rules by Tim Gunn
Bright Young Things by Anna Godberson
Everyone is Unappealing...Even Me by Sara Baron

And since I'm not fully on board with taking my Kindle onto the beach when there are wild nieces and nephews running around, I'm taking a paperback version of East of the Sun as my beach read for next week.